Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Colorful photoreactive substance
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 28-9-2007 at 23:09
Colorful photoreactive substance

This is the mysterious compound I made in the "Tillman's Reagent" thread.

As you know, I was attempting to make an indophenol compound using salicylic acid as the phenol.

The compound is orange-red and water soluble. I was very puzzled at first why sometimes when I poured out a sample, it suddenly changed back to green. I thought the dish was unclean and caused a color change.
Then when I was closely observing the flask containing the red solution, I keep seeing a clear green liquid on top that floats down and "disappears".
I suspected that light might have affected it. I put the flask in a dark place for some time until it is a red-orange color again. Then I poured a few milliliters into a glass dish. Immediately the color changed to "olive". I stuck the dish right next to a bright-white fluorescent bulb.
The characteristic green liquid started appearing and eventually the whole liquid turned forest green!

A thin layer of this substance is very sensitive to light and will remain green for a long time. If you recombine it with the main solution, only the top of the solution will be green while the rest returns back to orange.

My rough synthesis of the compound:

6g NaCCA*2H2O (sodium dichloroisocyanuric acid dihydrate)
5g NaOH
2.5g Salicylic acid
50mL of 10% ammonia (Just use excess ammonia, it doesnt really matter).

A few drops of Mn2+ salt (not sure if needed, but most sources say its needed..eh)

Mix the NaOH, SA, and Ammonia and Mn2+ first in 300mL water. Then SLOWLY add the NaDCCA or else you will just generate an explosive amount of nitrogen and chloramine gas before it can react.

You will see the solution turning very blue and near the end, green and then red.

Edit: Filter the MnO2 formed using cotton or glass wool.

I think the blue is the normal indophenol compound. Not sure what the red is....

But try it! Its really easy to make and very interesting...

Perhaps one of you bright people can figure out whats going on and what the compound is.

[Edited on 9/28/2007 by guy]

[Edited on 9/29/2007 by guy]
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 28-9-2007 at 23:54

Possible structure....

Go To Top