Printable Version  
Author: Subject: needed reference but not enough data
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 21:00
needed reference but not enough data

M. Haslanger
and R. G. Lawton, Tetrahedron Lett., 155 (1974)

I can't ask anyone to post this for me without a URL, DOI, something .. Google shows the right title on the links after searching but for some quirky reason maybe known only to the biddies that made Google it won't list that article when I click on the supposed link. I'm super-frusrated as this ref is key to a problem I'm thinking about.

If anyone can help .. you will be repaid a hundred fold in heaven or maybe the used car lot..

[My refs are so bloody disorganized that if I have it I won't know except by accident.]

Also irritating is this may have been posted already and I can't figure out how to do the site search to find out. If you can hip to how that is done I will (figurtively) kiss your feet.

Thanks
CRX

[Edited on 16-10-2007 by chemrox]
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 17-10-2007 at 00:27

According to Science Direct, author M.Hastinger has no papers in Tetrahedron Letters or Tetrahedron

Author R.G.Lawton has a single paper in Vol 1 1960

A biogenetically-patterned laboratory synthesis in the strychnine - curare alkaloid series
Tetrahedron Letters, Volume 1, Issue 40, 1960, Pages 30-35
E. E. van Tamelen, L. J. Dolby and R. G. Lawton

which is not what you are after

And searching for Hastinger and Lawton gives a null response.

As Google also does, if I were you I would start questioning the correctness of the citation.

Is Tet Lett page numbered by issue or volume?

[Edited on 17-10-2007 by Sauron]

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 17-10-2007 at 00:47

?
Navigating the site is not difficult and it shows a problem your citation, unless they got something wrong. Nothing can be done until you figure this out.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00404039
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2007 at 01:11

I have another acs paper with the same citation. Curious. I'm going to check through the ones I d/l'd from here ... it's awfully familiar....
jokull
National Hazard

Mood: Ice glassed

[*] posted on 17-10-2007 at 05:14

Hi chemrox

I think the right paper you are looking for is:

A Facile Preparation of the Ethylene Glycol Mono-Ketal of Cyclohexane-1, 4-Dione
M. Haslanger; R. G. Lawton
DOI: 10.1080/00397917408062065

Journal Synthetic Communications, Volume 4, Issue 3 1974 , pages 155 - 159

Abstract
The ethylene glycol mono-ketal of cyclohexane-1,4-dione (4) is an exceedingly useful bifunctional synthetic intermediate. In order to prepare synthetically useful amounts of the previously reported 1 pyrrolidine enamine 5, we have developed a straightforward route which starts from cyclohexane-1,4-diol (1). We have found that oxidation of diol 1 with slightly less than 1 equivalent of Jones reagent2 gives a mixture which contains a 90% yield of the desired hydroxy-ketone 2.3 The ketal 3 could be prepared directly from the crude hydroxy-ketone 2 by the standard procedure employing ethylene glycol and benzene with minimal extractive work up. We utilize a chromium trioxide-pyridine oxidation4 of the alcohol 3 to obtain the ketone-ketal 4. This procedure circumvents the problem caused by the high water solubility of intermediates 2 and 3 which frustrate some of the previously reported preparations.

If it is the right one I hope someone may help providing it since I have no access to that journal.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 17-10-2007 at 05:20

That's the proper year and page number all right

Variant spelling of one author name is my fault.

And of course an entirely different journal! not my doing!

No wonder Science Direct barfed all over "Hastinger and Tet Lett.

[Edited on 17-10-2007 by Sauron]

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2007 at 21:53

Well shit, I did say, "Haslanger" didn't I? Yes that might be the right one and thank you very much Jokull .. very kull indeed! All you guys are great!

The topic is related to the article I was reading and needed more background on. It was another one of those cyclohexyl-heterocycle things with alcohol moiety involved...but it was definitely supposed to be in Tet. let. However that might have been the mistake or typo .. I'm going to double check the two articles that cited this.

BTW- I went to Tetrahedron Letters home wanting to browse by year as with acs journals.. couldn't find a way to do it. Anyone know how to browse tet lets?
CRX

[Edited on 17-10-2007 by chemrox]
jokull
National Hazard

Mood: Ice glassed

[*] posted on 18-10-2007 at 08:34

Here you are chemrox:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00404039

just paste it in your favorite web browser; in the left side of the screen will appear the list by year of publication, each year can be expanded by volume and issue.

:)

Go To Top