Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CO2 Infrared Absorption
bereal511
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-10-2007 at 11:50
CO2 Infrared Absorption

Lately, I've been looking up CO2 infrared absorption charts in the context of global warming (whether or not it exists was not my prime concern, I was just curious about what was fact and what was fiction about greenhouse gases). I don't have a strong background in physical chemistry, so please bare with me. The graphs show 100% absorptions at approximately 15 microns, 4.3 microns, and 2.7 microns, if I am looking at them correctly, while about 25% absorption for 2.1 microns.

http://brneurosci.org/spectra.png

Reading up a little on the vibrational modes of CO2, I noticed that only the bending mode and asymmetric stretch mode correspond to any of the absorption values, 15 microns and 4.3 microns respectively. My question is why does CO2 absorb at 2.7 and 2.1 microns? I could only think of rotational modes or Rayleigh scattering as possible reasons, but my ignorance in photochemistry leads me to believe there is a simpler reason. Thanks in advance for any input.

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
-- Matt Cartmill
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 25-10-2007 at 19:49

Rotational modes are much lower -- microwave region. Scattering is either wideband (e.g., white clouds) or a low pass filter (e.g., transmitting red and green and scattering the blue that we see as the sky).

How much is absorbed depends jointly on the concentration, distance and interaction. Those peaks which seem to be 100% are actually 99-something, the remainder depending on how "black" the gas actually is at that wavelength. Weak absorbances (like the ~2 micron lines noted) could be weaker interactions, impurities, or even -- God forbid -- measurement errors (e.g., media, optics, etc. the light has to travel through between the source and detector).

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top