Printable Version  
Author: Subject: failed obtention of pentaerythritol
menchaca
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-9-2003 at 15:14
failed obtention of pentaerythritol

well.. recently i´ve tried to synth pentaerythritol it wasnt serious at all
just a try to lern more abou it, well better i´ll tell what i did first of all y synthetised some formaldehide and acetaldehide passing alcohol vapours trought copper tube heated with a burner and i obtained respectively an interesting amount of them as i dindt know what to ma ke with them i decided try to make some pentaerythritol i didn´t find much information about it
just that this is obtaines from acetaldehide and formaldehide in basic media. So i just poured the formaldehide over the acetaldehide anda added a a very hot solution of sodiumhidroxide. I know i should have try to calculate the estechiomeetric amount of each of them but as i didnt find any way to know the concentration of acetaldhide and formaldehide i just didn´t because i couldn´t. wel after pour the sodium hidroxide solution over the formaldehide/acetaldehide solution it turned to a slightly yelow/green colour later i poured about 200grs of crushed ice to the solution and it began to turn to an orange yellow colour very similar to the manufacture of picric acid. can somebody help me to konw what happened in my reaction?and what is the correct way?
THANKSS A LOT

Go To Top