Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reflux Condenser Broken - Alternatives?
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

sad.gif posted on 3-12-2007 at 08:36
Reflux Condenser Broken - Alternatives?

I broke my reflux condenser a couple of weeks ago (Dimroth 300mm). I was wondering if a West condenser with a 300mm (12") jacket would be suffecient for refluxing say.... MeOH, DCM or chloroform, just to give some examples.

Anyone know from experience?

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 09:57

The coil condensers are much more effective than the straight tube varieties. It's going to depend on how much and how well you can control the heat input, especially for low boiling solvents like those.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 13:54

I have a pretty decent VMR hotplate that says it keeps temps +/- 2*C under 200*C. From what I can remember from the specs. I never tried refluxing with my West before so I was just wondering if anyone ever tried it with low boiling point before. I can get a new one in a couple of weeks but if I can do it with the West then that would be great.

And since it's winter time, the water from the tap is like ~8*C. I was surprised that it was that cold too, since I live in the southern US and the tap water in the summer time is close to room temperature.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 14:33

Not really surprising... all over the south there are water towers... in the winter the water gets chilled as it is stored.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 19:34

I live in a suburb of Little Rock. I'm not sure how Little Rock gets it's water (I know of only 1 water tower but it's huge... ~300 ft tall and almost as wide... water filling the entire thing with no lower support structure). There is one small water tower here which, I think, is filled via a nearby lake. Oh yeah, I know there is a "resevoir" lake in the Heights area of west Little Rock.

That does make sense though, evil.

I suppose I will just try a methanol reflux for trial and error purposes. I'm sure if it can handle that, it can handle many other solvents.

Go To Top