Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ICP-OES venders
wilkaaro
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 14:34
ICP-OES venders

Alright so the company that I work for is debating whether to purchase a new ICP-OES instrument. I've been talking to Agilent, thermo-fisher, and Perkin-Elmer, all of them claim to be the best but I would like to talk to someone who has actually used the instrument.
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 14:51

I use a Spectro CIROS ICP-OES unit. What are you looking for?

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
wilkaaro
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 16:46

Reliability, and through put are my primary concerns. Although ease of use, and a knowledgeable tech staff is always nice.
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 18:05

To give you an idea, we have 2 Spectro CIROS CCD ICP-OES units and we are going to be getting a third. We have them running samples 24/7. Literally, this lab runs hundreds of samples per day. Our lab gets discounts from instrument manufacturers because of our high intensity use, so we often see problems that other labs may never have (e.g., an X-Ray leak from a certain XRF instrument at a very specific distance and a very specific angle in a very weird place).

Our typical analyses measure the concentrations of 44 different elements at 80 different wavelengths with >500 correction factors applied. Wavelength coverage is from 120nm-800nm. To perform the initial calibrations, 87 multi-element and single element standard solutions were prepared. The method editor is pretty friendly though: there are a few "recommended" wavelengths for the different elements as well as possible interferences from other elements (hence the need for multi-element standard solutions). I'm sure you know that if you really want to, you can write a thesis about which emission line is best in a certain analysis.

The calibration holds pretty well. About once per week, we have to re-standardize the unit, which takes about 40 minutes. Daily, our initial checks consist of verifying that the humidifer is full, reprofiling the detector, running a blank, and running our in-house standard. It all takes about 7 minutes (3 mins per sample, typically).

In the 9ish months I've been here, the biggest problem I've seen with one of the units was when our mass flow controllers malfunctioned and could not keep a stable supply of Argon to the humidifier. Since we had to wait about a week to get a new one, we just said "hell with it" for a few days and ran the unit without a humidifier. It worked. Next biggest problem is a slight attenuation of shorter wavelengths due to an air leak. However, with inspections at 6 month intervals, this problem rarely presents itself and if it does, is deal with quickly. Apparently, Spectro's tech staff is pretty easy to work with...I'm not the one who does the maintenance/method development though, so everything I know is either second hand or what I've been trained to do :)

From what I'm told, setting up the whole thing took about 6 months.

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.

Go To Top