Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: rxn of P4 with Na in benzene
Jor
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-5-2011 at 07:24
rxn of P4 with Na in benzene

Until i can start with my project on ibuprofen (I think a few more weeks) I am doing some random experiments. Next week I want to try to make some sodium phosphide, by dissolving some white phosphorus in warm benzene under a dry CO2 atmosphere and covering it with a watch glass to prevent escape of the benzene/CO2. Next an excess of sodium (activated by short immersion in a IPA/ligroin mixture, followed by a rinse with ligroin) will be added.
I expect a reaction, albeit a slow one. Does anyone have experience with this? Would the rxn likely be quick, would it be very very slow, or do you expect no reaction at all? I don't have CS2 and not toluene yet, so that's why I chose benzene as solvent, as ether is too flammable and chlorinated solvents can't be used with Na.
Also, is a solution of white P (say a 3-4% solution) in benzene above the autoignition point of pure white P also pyrophoric?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 15-5-2011 at 22:23

I do not expect a solution of white P in benzene to self-ignite, not even well above the autoignition point of white P.

I have done quite a few experiments with white P dissolved in CS2 and even fairly concentrated solutions of this do not self-ignite before really all CS2 is evaporated. E.g. if you put a few drops of this solution on paper, then the CS2 evaporates, but before the final last bits of CS2 have evaporated takes well over a minute. Only then there is self-ignition, so there is a fairly long delay between applying the solution of white P and the moment of self-ignition. I expect your experiment to be safe with respect to this.

Last weekend I tried another reaction, Mg + red P to make phosphide and I mixed in MgO to make the reaction slower. Even if more than 50% of the volume of the powder mix is MgO, there still is a VERY violent reaction (yellow light was emitted by the reaction mix, once it was ignited). But after the reaction there indeed is phosphide. The PH3, coming from this Mg3P2 (by adding it to dilute HCl) did not self-ignite when it came in contact with air, but it very easily can be ignited. It burns with puffs, each puff giving a cloud of white smoke.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 16-5-2011 at 13:23

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
But after the reaction there indeed is phosphide. The PH3, coming from this Mg3P2 (by adding it to dilute HCl) did not self-ignite when it came in contact with air, but it very easily can be ignited.

Interesting, all the sources I have read state that the phosphine (PH3) produced by acidifying phosphides spontaneously ignites on exposure to air, suppossedly due to traces of P2H4 in the gas. I wonder how it is that the phosphine from your procedure is apparently free from any P2H4. Or perhaps all those articles exaggerated the pyrophoric nature of phosphides. Sometimes there is no substitute for a real experiment.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 16-5-2011 at 22:23

I think that there is a CHANCE of self-ignition of the material. Sensation-seeking writers then change this into there WILL be self-ignition. I expect that if I repeat my experiment many times that once every few times there is self-ignition.

A similar experience I had with phosphine made by heating white P in a solution of NaOH. I did this experiment to show self-ignition, but the self-ignition proved to be very unreliable.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2011 at 13:55

I did the experiment today. To a 50mL roundbottom flask was added a stirbar followed by 5mL of benzene. A small piece
(I think about 50-100mg) were added to the benzene. The system was briefly purged with dry CO2 (conc. H2SO4 + NaHCO3), but probably not thoroughly enough that the system was oxygen free. Next the solution was heated at 50-60 C with an oil bath (the neck of the RBF was covered with a watchglass) untill all P4 dissolved (some red dirty polymeric stuff remained undissolved).
Next 3 small peices of sodium were activated with 1:1 IPA/Ligroin, washed with ligroin and quickly added to the flask. This resulted in some bubbling (moisture in the benzene reacting with the Na). As I saw no formation of black sodium phosphide, I added one more piece of white P. Stirring the solution for a few hours at RT gave no formation of black material, so the benzene solution was poured in the organic waste bottle :(
The solution still contained dissolved P4 as when a few drops were put in a 10mL beaker and left to evaporate, smoke of oxides of phosphorus were formed as a white smoke when the benzene evaaporated.
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 21-5-2011 at 14:51

If you need phosphine, you could generate it with sodium hydroxide reaction with white phosphorus, or white phosphorus could react with acid.

Also I saw some type of reduction of calcium phosphate to phosphide in Kings Guide to home chemistry experiments.

There is also on wikipedia that aluminium and phosphorus can be ignited to make aluminium phosphide.

Be very careful if you try anything of that though, it could be explosive reaction with toxic fumes.

Go To Top