Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: H2O2 (30%) decomposition via Iron Oxide (Red - II)
freedompyro
holmes1880

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-6-2011 at 18:04
H2O2 (30%) decomposition via Iron Oxide (Red - II)

I was wondering what type of reaction this is. Is the oxygen just being catalyzed out of the H2O2 and it doesn't matter how much Iron Oxide you add... The H2O2 will be fully decomposed eventually with any amount. Or is there an actual chemical reaction going on that is producing other things in the water?

If so, I will need a little help figuring out how much Iron Oxide in grams to use per each gram of H2O2.

I was just using this to generate pure oxygen and maintained the temperature at 80C via cold/hot water baths and added iron oxide until the oxygen production rate was what I needed.

Things got quite exciting when I took it out of the water bath and let it react outside... Letting the reaction hit the boiling point of water. LoL...

[Edited on 20-6-2011 by freedompyro]
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-6-2011 at 18:48

I believe the iron oxide is catalyzing the decomp. of the peroxide. In that case, adding more iron oxide will increase the rate of decomposition. A better catalyst for the reaction is manganese dioxide or potassium permanganate. Nurdrage has a video on obtaining manganese dioxide from carbon-zinc batteries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knc1lSupAwQ

The peroxide should be diluted before use. Cheap 3% can also be used (more vigorous if permanganate is used).

[Edited on 20-6-2011 by barley81]
freedompyro
holmes1880

[*] posted on 19-6-2011 at 22:20

Quote: Originally posted by barley81  

The peroxide should be diluted before use. Cheap 3% can also be used (more vigorous if permanganate is used).

[Edited on 20-6-2011 by barley81]

Why dilute? If it is catalyzing the reaction I should be able to use the higher concentration just fine but with less iron oxide therefore being more cost effective. I can control the reaction just fine.

Putting it outside without cooling was just me being curious and seeing "what would happen."
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-6-2011 at 13:19

Ok, if it works for you. I was talking about using MnO2, in which case the reaction is too rapid with 30% peroxide. I might try using iron oxide when my peroxide comes.
freedompyro
holmes1880

[*] posted on 20-6-2011 at 19:49

Quote: Originally posted by barley81  
Ok, if it works for you. I was talking about using MnO2, in which case the reaction is too rapid with 30% peroxide. I might try using iron oxide when my peroxide comes.

In my testing... I find CuO to have runaways much easier than Red Iron Oxide...

Iron oxide seems to hold a better steady production rate and be less heat accelerated.

Go To Top