Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oxone?
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-7-2011 at 00:11
Oxone?

Where I live ammonium persulfate is cheaper and more easily available in larger quantities than oxone. Can it be substituted for oxone, for example in the preparation of Dess-Martin periodinane reagent?
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-7-2011 at 07:15

I suspect it won't work as a direct substitution, as peroxodisulfate ("persulfate") is not the same as peroxomonosulfate ("oxone"), and these two oxidants will have different oxidising capabilities and kinetics (persulfate is actually quite kinetically stable - catalytic Ag salt can help this along, as can other additives).
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 15-7-2011 at 12:42

DFJ90, I thought persulfate, certainly ammonium persulfate, is quite unstable in solution, solutions generally don't keep long and decompose into ozone.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-7-2011 at 12:45

Vulture: Thats not the impression I was given in the lab when working with potassium persulfate, but the ammonium salt may be entirely different. I'm sure you can find documentation of its relatively slow oxidative capability and also catalysts that increase the rate of reaction online. It is of course a strong oxidant, but not a very rapid one.

Go To Top