Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Long term storage of chemicals
Fusionfire
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-9-2011 at 03:14
Long term storage of chemicals

Hi guys,

I'm looking to do a postdoc abroad for up to a few years, depending on funding. As such I will have to pack up my chemistry lab for long term storage. There are some chemicals I am concerned about and wanted to know if they will store OK for a few years. My main concerns are leaks, production of gases leading to bursting of the containers, poisonous fumes, runaway polymerisations, exothermic reactions melting adjacent containers, deliquescence leading to chemical leaks, etc.

Also the storage unit is a movable container so I can't assume the thing won't be moved around/knocked.

Can you please let me know what chemicals will store well and under what conditions?

1) Rocket candy (65% KNO3, 35% sugar)
2) 5 litres Hydrogen peroxide (35%)
3) Dry magnesium powder (100 microns)
4) Magnesium shavings (dry + oil free)
5) Polyester resin (5L), MEKP catalyst in a separate bottle
6) Two part polyurethane resin (5L)
7) 25kg fertiliser bags - KNO3, (NH4)2SO4, Ca(NO3)2, urea, KCl (all are not airtight)
8) 70% HNO3, 96% H2SO4
9) 5kg KOH, 1kg NaOH
10) Various organic liquids - glycerine, acetone, ethanol, methanol

Almost everything is stored in plastic bottles or plastic resealable bags (except the resins and fertiliser).
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 19-9-2011 at 04:26

1) You'll find it wet, trust me. But if you want to sleep better at night, sprinkle it with water. You can always dry it when you come back.
2) Depends on the temperature and the quality of the container. One 5 L container could burst and leak after few years, unless it's polyethylene in cool, dry place.
3) Harmless. Just keep it tightly closed.
4) Same as 3.
5) You'll probably find your resin polymerized. Shelf life of most resins is short. MEKP, if in a small bottle, won't do anything.
6) Same as 5.
7) Calcium nitrate and urea will become very wet.
8) If stored in glass bottles with teflon seals, nothing. Plastic bottles will fail, especially the ones with nitric acid.
9) Those things often find a way to wet themselves. I use plastic bags in glass containers with rubber gaskets. Never had any problems.
10) No problems.

Just keep your lab under 25 °C, and little if anything will change.

AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 20-9-2011 at 11:12

Do the airport luggage test.

Assume the box will be dropped, crush, hit and, of course, turned upside down for storage!

My starting recommendation is to dispose of the inexpensive organic solvents.

Wetting the rocket candy with water may not work as with time, the sugar will serve as a food source for a host of bacteria and fungi. Consider removing the sugar from the rocket candy if you want to save the KNO3.
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-9-2011 at 11:44

I strongly discourage you from storing hydrogen peroxide at 35% concentration, every time I open (once in a few weeks) my 33% peroxide, a large amount of gas escapes (and it is stored in a cool, dry place), a few years of storage can lead to leaking or worse, bursting of the container. The acids should be kept in glass vessels, and if the the "rocket candy" and other common solvents are not too valuable, I would suggest you drop them too, because they can be quite a fire hazard. But the most important thing is the peroxide, the other chemicals are of low concern as long as the will be kept in proper containers.
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 21-9-2011 at 07:11

I have 5 liters of 50% concentration H2O2 in a plastic bottle that has a small hole drilled in the cap which I store in the freezer. It's sold here as a pool treatment chemical which they warned me about when I purchased it. As long as you can ensure it does not topple over it will keep indefinitely.

Anybody know how well purchased chemically pure NaN3 keeps especially in terms of sensitivity? Been going through my 'stock' and some items have been raising question marks.

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-9-2011 at 07:29

NaN3 should be stable for years if dry and sealed. It's used in air bags because of that. Just have to keep it away from acids and metals.

Fusionfire, I would not store any mixture of fuel/oxidant in a storage unit.

Same with H2O2, it will decompose in storage, and any leak could be bad. I have had the plastic bottles fail over time, even in a refrig. so if you are saving them, I would over-pack them inside a large glass container, which is not tightly sealed. A dedicator or large (1 gallon) pickle jar might do for each bottle.

Acetone and methanol will slowly evaporate, especially if in plastic bottles.

I also agree that the acids should not be in plastic bottles, although I might put the glass bottles inside a plastic container as a backup. I have had numerous containers fail over the years and secondary containment has saved my butt a few times.

Bob

Go To Top