Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Melting Lanthanum metal in electric furnace
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 10:06
Melting Lanthanum metal in electric furnace

I have some Lanthanum metal I want to melt in a furnace under an argon atmosphere. What would be the best crucible to use?

I don’t think I can use a graphite crucible as it will react with the molten lanthanum metal to form Lanthanum Carbide.
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 06:23

Probably a nickel vessel is your cheapest option. Wash the entire thing with acid to get rid of the oxide layer, lest a thermite reaction forms and destroys your vessel. A platinum vessel is the best and safest option, but that is too expensive.
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 07:49

Quote: Originally posted by weiming1998  
Probably a nickel vessel is your cheapest option. Wash the entire thing with acid to get rid of the oxide layer, lest a thermite reaction forms and destroys your vessel. A platinum vessel is the best and safest option, but that is too expensive.

Would a ceramic, silica or aluminium oxide based crucible react?
Zan Divine
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wishing all the worst that life has to offer to that SOB Wayne Lapierre

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 08:36

Lanthanum, huh? You don't like the easy things apparently...

Ideally, La is induction melted in vacuo in W(preferred) or Ta.

Molten La can reduce most common refractories including MgO, BeO, Al2O3, SiO2, ZrO2, and ThO2.

Once molten, La is usually cast into water-cooled copper molds (which seem to work for damn near anything) under Ar.

If you do a good job, you'll get soft, easily cut metal.
If you have O2 contamination you will see the usual hardening caused by ill-fitting impurities situated at grain-boundaries.

[Edited on 12-2-2012 by Zan Divine]
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 09:33

I’m planning to use a desktop resistance heated furnace with a max temp of 1100C. There is a hole at the back where you would normally insert a temperature probe however I found that a rubber hose fits it perfectly. I have a cylinder of argon gas from a tig welder which I intend to fix to the hose.
The furnace is obviously not air tight but I think if I use positive pressure all air should be excluded from the interior of the furnace i.e. pressure of Ar inside furnace chamber is greater then air pressure outside.

[Edited on 12-2-2012 by D4RR3N]

[Edited on 13-2-2012 by D4RR3N]
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-2-2012 at 00:45

Quote: Originally posted by D4RR3N  
Quote: Originally posted by weiming1998  

Would a ceramic, silica or aluminium oxide based crucible react?

No, because they are oxides, and La is very reactive to the point that it will form a thermite reaction with the oxides, even in the absence of oxygen, and destroy your vessel. Only a pure, unreactive metal vessel washed with acids first will work.
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-2-2012 at 05:19

Ok I have a question about these nickel crucibles. I have made nickel brass in my furnace before so I know that nickel will dissolve in molten brass (copper+zinc). How do I know that the molten lanthanum wont eat a hole straight through the nickel crucible. I’m sure if you put brass into one of these crucibles it would eat through it.
Obviously I would prefer to use a nickel crucible as they are easy to obtain and not that expensive. I cant even find a Ta or W crucible other then manufacturers who require bulk ordering, I’m sure they will be very expensive too!
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-2-2012 at 06:09

Quote: Originally posted by D4RR3N  
Ok I have a question about these nickel crucibles. I have made nickel brass in my furnace before so I know that nickel will dissolve in molten brass (copper+zinc). How do I know that the molten lanthanum wont eat a hole straight through the nickel crucible. I’m sure if you put brass into one of these crucibles it would eat through it.
Obviously I would prefer to use a nickel crucible as they are easy to obtain and not that expensive. I cant even find a Ta or W crucible other then manufacturers who require bulk ordering, I’m sure they will be very expensive too!

I don't know about that. Perhaps you can try melting very small amounts of La first, if it corrodes nickel to any degree, turn off the flame and use other vessels.

Go To Top