Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to destroy and dispose of potassium ferrocyanide anhydrous?
seashell1982
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 16:05
How to destroy and dispose of potassium ferrocyanide anhydrous?

I have about 80 grams of K4Fe(CN)6 that was heated to burn off the water, supposedly K4[Fe(CN)6]•3H2O into K4Fe(CN)6, although i don't know for sure that's what happened chemically. Anyway, I want to dispose of it. I thought about adding it to household bleach to produce cyanate, but this web page says that "Inert cyanides such as ferricyanide can only be destroyed by photoactivation (using UV - H2O2)". I'm assuming this would apply to ferro as well, and I don't have the sophistication to use that method. So how can 80 grams be disposed of safely? Trash? Toilet? What? Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

[Edited on 7-6-2012 by RisingSun96815]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 22:33

Put it in a closed plastic bag and dispose of it with the normal household waste. If you want to be really sure wrap another bag around the first one and close this as well. It will be burned and it contains no real toxic material. Iron is not very toxic and the cyanide ligands will be destroyed in burning the household waste.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Zan Divine
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wishing all the worst that life has to offer to that SOB Wayne Lapierre

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 10:50

A general note on chemical disposal;

You can download a free PDF copy of Prudent Practices in the Laboratory: Handling and Management of Chemical Hazards, Updated Version at....

https://download.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12654

This book (~$100) describes the steps needed to address any wastes you're likely to generate. It was the go-to source for anything our lab destroyed in-house.

[Edited on 7-6-2012 by Zan Divine]

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of some of the pain of being a man. --HST

kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 11:08

Ferrocyanides are not that toxic as people think they are. Because there is several cyanide (NC) groups in it... It won't kill you.

Just some data:
ORAL (LD50): Acute: 6400 mg/kg [Rat]. 5000 mg/kg
[Mouse].

If the ferrocyanide is not contacted with strong concentrated acids then there will be no problem. -and as we know there is not too much polyphosphoric acid, sulfuric ect. in the commercial waste;)

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Zan Divine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 13:47

I could be wrong but I think that ferrocyanides present a hazard to marine life after irradiation by sunlight.

It isn't just toxicity to us that matters.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of some of the pain of being a man. --HST

kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 16:16

Quote: Originally posted by Zan Divine  
I could be wrong but I think that ferrocyanides present a hazard to marine life after irradiation by sunlight.

If it won't be placed in a 10 liter spherical tank with 2 goldfish in it under a 20W UV bulb... No problem will happen.

But someone is such worried about this, make the iron-ferrocyanide, prussian blue, as I remember it is almost insoluble and really stable.

Or just give it to the local chem supplier in a well sealed bottle, with the proper signs.

[Edited on 8-6-2012 by kristofvagyok]

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Zan Divine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 19:57

Of course, you're right. Your amount is inconsequential compared to all that enters runoff water in areas where the road salt contains a tiny amount of ferrocyanide (or ferricyanide, too lazy to look it up). I think it's an anticaking agent.

AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 01:24

Read the link on the recommended paths to destroying the potassium ferrocyanide.

As the reference recommended excess H2O2 in a high pH environment, the answer that occurred to me is use Oxyclean. Surprisingly, this common inexpensive household oxygen bleach (as generic substitutes are sold, no need to pay the brand name price) did not highly recommended it use to destroy all ones ferrocyanides. Nevertheless, as it is chemically basic Na2CO3 with H2O2 attached, applying an excess of it may do the job.

Note, the discredited alternative is that other chlorine bleach (I can hear the new Oxyclean commercial now, or perhaps not).

Go To Top