Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sciencemadness FTP uploading with Mac OS X
adamsium
Hazard to Others

Mood: uprooting

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 22:45
sciencemadness FTP uploading with Mac OS X

I tried to upload a few pictures via FTP for the 'Pretty Pictures' thread, but it seems to be read-only for me. I've tried a couple of times with no luck. Reading the threads I could find on the topic, I was unable to find a solution. Do I need to request access for FTP? Or is there something else I need to be doing, aside from just connecting with the username and password given in the FTP thread?

[Edited on 7-2-2012 by Polverone]
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 10:02

You should just connect with the name scipics, password scipics, and you should be able to upload. If you cannot upload, please describe the steps you followed and any error message received in more detail.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
adamsium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 15:24

Using the "Connect to Server..." option of the "Go" menu of Mac OS X 10.7.4, I connected to the server ftp://sciencemadness.org using username scipics and password scipics. It connects, and I can see the contents of the directory, but when I attempt to drag a picture in to the directory, I get the grey-circle-with-a-crossbar-through-it cursor, indicating that it cannot be done, and it does not work- it simply fails - no error message appears. At one point, I opened the directory info and it said that it was read-only, however I can't get this up now. Opening the info panel for the directory now just gives me an almost completely blank info box - the only item with any info is "Kind:", which is listed as "Sharepoint".

I will say that I'm not overly familiar with FTP, particularly on OS X - I rarely use FTP. It's entirely possible that I am doing something wrong. Should OS X be compatible with the FTP?
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 15:36

There should be nothing specific about OS X in using the FTP site, but I don't know how the Connect to Server... option works. This is a bit of a bother, but if you bring up the terminal app I think ftp will be installed on your system.

In the terminal you can try typing

ftp sciencemadness.org

then hit enter.

You should be prompted for a username and password, and you'll type those in also. Then you should be connected and can try running the command "put somefile.jpg". If the upload succeeds, I would guess it is something about Connect to Server that works differently.

There are other members here who use OS X on a more regular basis; I hope that one of them can jump in and help in more detail. I will re-title the thread to draw their attention.

[Edited on 7-2-2012 by Polverone]

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
adamsium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 23:20

Thanks, Polverone, for the reply.

I tried with terminal, and after some reading to work out how the commands I needed worked, I managed to change to the required local directory and upload the pictures, using the 'put' command, as you advised.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions on how to better do this in the future, that would be much appreciated. Perhaps there's a particular FTP client that someone might be able recommend for OS X. Although I use OS X almost exclusively now, I've only had a MacBook for just under a year and hadn't really dealt with Macs prior to that.

If someone wants to delete my 'Pretty Pictures' post at http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=14644&... , please do, and I'll make a new one with the pictures I've uploaded via FTP rather than the images attached to the post with thumbnails.

Go To Top