Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: oleic acid skin absorption enhancer
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 13:42
oleic acid skin absorption enhancer

I have been reading how oleic acid (omega-9) can increase the topical absorption of drugs through the skin by up to 24 fold! I read that 10% by volume was found to be effective. What I want to do is add this to a herbal tincture consisting of 25-30% ethanol.

Obviously oleic acid wont mix with the water/alcohol so I need an emulsifier but the catch is this, if possible I would want that emulsifier to be natural so the resulting herbal liniment could be termed 100% organic. Any ideas of how this could be done?

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/03785173940...
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 15:58

http://www.ehow.co.uk/info_8223924_common-food-emulsifiers.h...

The above link talks about natural emulsifiers and states that mono and diglycerides can be used. If I was to simply add glycerol to the oleic would this form an emulsifier?
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 27-8-2012 at 05:59

This is one of the best resources for advice and ingredients to do what you want to accomplish, without taking a univ. level course.

http://www.thesage.com/ one of the best,

Lecithin of course is a great emulsifier, but there are many more. Also, a little of some of the Polyquats can help to break surface tension. They act like leave in conditioners in tiny amounts. If you need a sample of Polyquata-11 (I believe I have), let me know and I'll dig it up. Your looking for the excipient effect, without resorting to drastic, smelly (slightly impure) DMSO. You have many choices and blends. Contact Stephanie at Sage Mountain, tell her your desired outcome, and she'll suggest an appropriate recipe using her stuff. The veggy lecithin of course can buy at your local bean sprout sandwich store. You know, the places which used to carry the Edgar Cayce oils. Any truly indy health food store. Come to think of it, Sally Beauty supply used to be a cool place too until they started REMOVING things from the shelves. Now even home dep'aux is scared of toluene.
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 27-8-2012 at 06:08

You'll have to experiment. When it comes to glycerol, I find water and a small amt. of ascorbic acid just zaps into the skin. But vit.c water/glycerol admixture is perhaps a little bit unique, with the alcohol crossing the phospho bi-lipid, due to it's partially fatty nature, yet it is miscible with vitamin c, which in turn, is soluble in water, of course. And the real beauty, that the mixture of all 3 is completely miscible. I'm not just talking theoretical mumbo jumbo. Make it by taste, slightly sweet/sour water. it zaps right into your skin. The glycerol will even bring the C to your cartilage, where it can do some good.

Sorry I talk so much!

Go To Top