Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Why is methyl benzoate more reactive to EAS bromination than m-xylene?
killswitch
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-3-2013 at 10:05
Why is methyl benzoate more reactive to EAS bromination than m-xylene?

Conditions: 0.5 mL of 0.05 M Br2 in 90% AcOH, added to 0.5 mL of 0.25 M solution of aryl compound in 90% AcOH. Refluxed at 100˚ C for 10 minutes.

A significantly greater color change was observed in the benzoate than the m-xylene, indicating faster bromination. Aren't carboxylic esters relatively strong deactivating groups in electrophilic aromatic substitution? meta-xylene has two activating groups. Why doesn't its reactivity in these conditions dwarf methyl benzoate?

I'm being led to believe the answer is related to resonance, but I fail to see how a resonance effect could overcome the ∂+ on the carbonyl carbon.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-3-2013 at 08:37

Quote: Originally posted by killswitch  
A significantly greater color change was observed in the benzoate than the m-xylene, indicating faster bromination.

You are basing your conclusions on a non-existing evidence. I suggest you to stick to the scientific method when evaluating experimental results: no evidence, no conclusions.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
9-7-2013 at 14:51

Go To Top