Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: black crud
MXG
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-4-2013 at 01:07
black crud

I have been making o and p nitrophenol dyes by routine nitration of phenol under mild conditions. This has worked well enough, but what is the black tary crud that always forms along with my product? I seem to make it no matter how cold I keep it or how slowly I add reactants or how steadily it is stirred. I know that organic chemistry often makes black crud but I am simply curious what it might be. I sometimes get it with diazotizations too. Is it some polymer? If it is a side-product what might it be? My own limited analysis hasn't told me too much. Thank-you!
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
8-4-2013 at 11:34
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 8-4-2013 at 11:36

You can check with TLC to see if your "black crud" is just a complex mixture of compounds or a true tar (undefinable mixture of polymeric crap).

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2013 at 13:31

In organic chemistry there are always some side reactions what also happens next to your main route, these often form polymers, oxidation products and a lot thing what you don't want to see, but sadly they are almost always there...

But see the good point: unless the tar is in a smaller percent than your product it couldn't be as bad...

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
MXG
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-4-2013 at 15:43

Thank-you for the useful feedback!
I tried the TLC and found where some of my yield has been hiding.
I am encouraged that black crud is not too unusual - I think I will worry about it less in the future.

Thank-you!

Go To Top