Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Presentation Topic
Brøn stud
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 12:49
Presentation Topic

I graduate this year, and I have a final presentation that is needed in Advanced Inorganic prior to graduation. My area of interest is "organometallics" and I would really like to infuse a lot of subliminal references to drug making and application to useful ketones, primary amines, anything that would greatly stir up some emotions in my professor before I go...anyone have any ACS acredited reference topics I could chose from to pull of my grand finale?
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 14:14

Your question is unclear: what do you mean by "subliminal references" and "ACS accredited reference topics", and what kind of emotions do you want to stir up in your professor?

This should probably in Whimsy...

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-5-2013 at 17:51

There seems to be a lot of recent work (last 10 years) on Alkoxides. For example, from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkoxide ), to quote:

"Thermal stability
Many metal alkoxides thermally decompose in the range ~100–300 °C. Depending on process conditions, this thermolysis can afford nanosized powders of oxide or metallic phases. This approach is a basis of processes of fabrication of functional materials intended for aircraft, space, electronic fields, and chemical industry: individual oxides, their solid solutions, complex oxides, powders of metals and alloys active towards sintering. Decomposition of mixtures of mono- and heterometallic alkoxide derivatives has also been examined. This method represents a prospective approach possessing an advantage of capability of obtaining functional materials with increased phase and chemical homogeneity and controllable grain size (including the preparation of nanosized materials) at relatively low temperature (less than 500−900 °C) as compared with the conventional techniques."

There is apparent commercial significance here.

Assuming the statements are accurate, the implications for the possible thermal decomposition of say Potassium tert-butoxide, for example, would be interesting, perhaps, K2O or even K (?!), under the right 'process conditons'. The references supplied by Wikipedia (cited below) are all recent (years 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2012):

" References
1. Bradley, D. C.; Mehrotra, R.; Rothwell, I.; Singh, A. "Alkoxo and Aryloxo Derivatives of Metals" Academic Press, San Diego, 2001. ISBN 0-12-124140-8.
2. Turova, N.Y.; Turevskaya, E.P.; Kessler, V.G.; Yanovskaya, M.I. "The Chemistry of Metal Alkoxides" Kluwer AP, Dordrecht, 2002. ISBN 0-7923-7521-1.
3."Single and mixed phase TiO2 powders by excess hydrolysis of titanium isopropoxide". Advances in Applied Ceramics 111 (3). 2012.
4. P.A. Shcheglov, D.V. Drobot. Rhenium Alkoxides (Review). Russian Chemical Bulletin. 2005. V. 54, No. 10. P. 2247-2258. doi: 10.1007/s11172-006-0106-5

Further reading
N.Ya. Turova. Metal oxoalkoxides. Synthesis, properties and structures (Review). Russian Chemical Reviews. 2004. V. 73, No. 11. P. 1041-1064. doi:10.1070/RC2004v073n11ABEH000855 "

See also a partially available online text, "The Chemistry of Metal Alkoxides", edited by Nataliya Ya Turova, link: http://books.google.com/books?id=rPzaMRjK8pQC&pg=PA15&am... . An interesting comment is for example, on page 163, the author notes that the decomposition products of methoxides of K-Cs include the free metals.

Go To Top