Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Suitable reagents for Hydrazine Sulfate Synthesis via Ketazine
BobD1001
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-11-2013 at 23:16
Suitable reagents for Hydrazine Sulfate Synthesis via Ketazine

I am looking to produce Hydrazine Sulfate in order to make a copper mirror. I have all the needed reagents, aside from the 10% NaOCl, to follow nurdrages excellent video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB7vwIFCnR0

Well today in a quick stop at ace hardware I came across this gallon of Liquid Chlorinator for $4, stated to be 10% NaOCl. Being a pool product, I thought surely there are likely some impurities aside from water. When looking through the MSDS information sheets I could find, I typically found NaOCl (Duh!), NaCl, and NaOH as the other listed components. Would it be likely that any of these might interfere with the process to any large extent? I am not worried about the NaCl, as NaOCl eventually decomposes into NaCl anyways.

The MSDS can be found here.

Here is a picture of the incredible bargain $4.00 Gallon of Sodium Hypochlorite.

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 15-11-2013 at 10:19

Like many of his other videos, NurdRage took inspiration from this website. See the threads linked to in his video description.

bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-11-2013 at 13:34

If the MSDS is accurate, it should work fine. It's always good to try and match the concentrations used if you're trying to reproduce someone's work, especially for a synthesis like this where side reactions are a potentially serious problem for your yield.
That said, this is not 'an incredible bargain', just a normal price. You can probably do slightly better on a cents-per-mole basis by buying 8.25% bleach from Wal-Mart.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 15-11-2013 at 13:47

Is $4 a gallon for 10% hypochlorite a good deal? This is one case I wish NurdRage wouldn't attribute his sources. I don't want everyone on YouTube flocking here. Maybe we should post a welcome sign: "No Drug Manufacture Discussions Here!" And refer them to bluetube.ru or whatever it's called if that's what they come for.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
BobD1001
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-11-2013 at 20:59

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
Is $4 a gallon for 10% hypochlorite a good deal? This is one case I wish NurdRage wouldn't attribute his sources. I don't want everyone on YouTube flocking here. Maybe we should post a welcome sign: "No Drug Manufacture Discussions Here!" And refer them to bluetube.ru or whatever it's called if that's what they come for.

Yes I truly agree with that statement. We do not need any more people bringing a negative name to the chemistry hobby; although at the same time I surely do not believe Nurdrage had any negative intentions. I did think that $4 a gallon was quite a good deal, as its quite a large supply that will hopefully last me a very long time, given that I can keep it cold to prevent decomposition of the NaOCl.

Go To Top