Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Would this work as a primer for ANFO?
Metallus
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-12-2013 at 10:53
Would this work as a primer for ANFO?

Hi there

I wanted to set off some ANFO but I don't have easy access to lead azide or other powerful enough primers and so I was thinking if these chain reactions would do the job:

KMnO4 + glycerin in order to start a small batch of thermite mix (Fe2O3 + Al) which should generate such obscene temperatures to set off the ANFO.

Would this actually work out?
If yes, how should I set the primer (Like, a can filled with some thermite and topped with some KMnO4, put on the ANFO mix and a drop of glycerin on the KMnO4 to set it off)?

I always work with small quantities (usually <10g.... actually I work with mg but I guess I'll need grams of stuff in order to obtain some visible result, or I won't get those 1k °C); what are the suggested amounts to make it a success but without blowing up a forest?

Thanks for your attention

[Edited on 13-12-2013 by Metallus]
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-12-2013 at 11:13

I am not 100% sure, but i believe it is not going to work

Try to make some HMTD, the chemicals for make it they can easily found.
Also AN is an insensitive explosive, it will be very difficult to initiate small amounts of it. Try mono-atomic chemicals for small quantities like ETN and not mixed chemicals like ANFO

[Edited on 13-12-2013 by underground]
Dany
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-12-2013 at 11:26

After reading this post i recommend you to stay away ant explosive materials until you have sufficient information on what you are gonna do. The ignitor that you proposed, the hypergolic mixture of KMnO4 and glycerine is simply a joke. This nasty materials serve only as a demonstration of the highly oxidative nature of potassium permanganate. This will not set off a highly insensitive highly non-ideal explosive such ANFO. ANFO require a very powerful booster to detonate. Unconfined, ANFO possess very large critical diameter...So what milligrams and grams are you talking about? Steel confinement of ANFO is a good choice for delaying expansion wave from the side of the detonated charge from entering the detonation zone and extinguish it. even a detonator (e.g., with lead azide) is not reliable for successful detonation of ANFO.

Dany.
The_Davster
A pnictogen
Thread Closed
13-12-2013 at 11:35

Go To Top