Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Household uses of reagents
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 13-6-2014 at 13:33
Household uses of reagents

A lot of us get chemicals from OTC sources, but I'm wondering, has anyone found a good use for any reagents they use in the lab?

I've found copper chloride solutions to be an excellent method of making a heating pack if you have aluminum foil handy. You can also make one by adding copper or iron powder and magnesium powder to water. Normally magnesium and water react only slowly, but the presence of another metal produces a small battery that heats up as it shorts out and reacts at a much faster pace. - this is what US MREs use for the heating pack.

Rough silicon pieces make excellent abrasives. And of course, sodium silicate can be used to preserve eggs.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 13-6-2014 at 13:43

I used copper chloride as a heat pack too! I also have found that some gases can be quite useful when dealing a bug pest.:D

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

Mood: Busy studying chemistry at the University

[*] posted on 13-6-2014 at 14:23

By curiosity I once left a beaker upside down full of NOx gas over a dandelion. It died quite fast :p The grass was also damaged however.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 13-6-2014 at 14:34

Yup. I use chlorine, N2O4, and other toxic gases to kill annoying bugs all the time. I should try it on plants too, sounds fun.
Not a super practical use, but I use chromic acid to clean lab glass and sometimes kitchen glass. It's toxicity is a big downside, but due to the intense color of said solution, there's a good indicator of when you've rinsed it all out.

alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-6-2014 at 14:41

Do you really use hexavalent chromium on kitchen glass? I am almost scared just to use it in lab. Even the fact that it is very toxic, I don't really mind, you must be a total idiot to ingest a lethal dose, but the fact that it is cancirogenic, I really do not like it !

[Edited on 13-6-2014 by alexleyenda]
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 13-6-2014 at 14:59

Yes, I would be a total idiot if I ingested a lethal dose.
I've used it only twice on Kitchen glass, I cleaned and rinsed it for a long time. Trust me, no way was there even close to enough to hurt anyone.

[Edited on 13-6-2014 by Zyklonb]

alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-6-2014 at 15:14

It takes only one successful cancer cell made by one mutation caused by one chemical reaction with one molecule to give birth to a whole cancer :p That is why I really take care with cancirogenic products. The chances are small if you rinse it correctly so you could call this paranoia but hey, cancer is something nice to avoid :p
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 13-6-2014 at 15:15

It is not that bad actually, the toxicity of many chemicals, including hexavalent chromium is way over rated. One could clean with vodka to be sure.

Speaking of which, did you got the package Alex?

I never asked for this.
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-6-2014 at 15:41

Yep, thanks, got it 3 days ago, I should have noticed you. Everything's fine. And plante, as I said, it's not really the toxicity but the fact that it is cancirogenic the problem. One successful mutation not spotted by the repairing enzymes or the immune system, that's all it takes to get cancer. Of course, the chances are very low but I prefer to avoid them if I can! The problem is that most of the time it won't do anything, but the time it'll do something, it's a cancer. It's like playing lottery. You may think you'll never win, but some people do win :p Anyways, that was my paranoid 2 cents^^

[Edited on 13-6-2014 by alexleyenda]
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 13-6-2014 at 15:52

Yeah, I wouldn't take any chances with that either. I always handle hexavalent chromium with great care at an arms length, and thoroughly clean everything it touches.
I'd never use it for kitchen glass. My parents would kill me!
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 13-6-2014 at 16:40

i KNOW people from Hinkley, California (Erin Brokovich) chrome(VI) is no fucking joke.

Back on topic, I've used "homemade" NaOH to get the drains flowing again, bathtub especially (girls in the house, long hair). Straight cathodic liquid out of a chlor-alkali cell works GREAT for opening up slow drains, and its already "hydrated" so ya need not worry about "exothermic geysers" LOL

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

numos
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-6-2014 at 20:11

Doesn't matter how much you rinse it, no surface is perfectly smooth, glass has microscopic pores in which heavy metal substances can lodge, and release very slowly, like mercury vapor, except into the liquid nearby. Keep eating glassware and lab glass separate, I don't even use my lab dH2O to clean kitchenware.

As for the thread, if you have a soot stain, like from a candle that doesn't wash, add a few drops of conc. Sulfuric acid and wipe quickly, will come right off. Also glow powders, the type you can charge, can be sealed in ampule and make great gifts.

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 13-6-2014 at 20:23

Quote: Originally posted by numos  
if you have a soot stain, like from a candle that doesn't wash

For soot stains the BEST easiest remedy is a tad bit of ashes. Cigarette, paper, whatever. As a retired junkie, I know this for sure. Goddang soot is HARD to get off the bottom of a spoon. Steel wool won't hardly touch it, but a minute amount of ash and POOF; rubs right off. Catalysis, I reckon.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 13-6-2014 at 21:40

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
I've used "homemade" NaOH to get the drains flowing again, bathtub especially (girls in the house, long hair). Straight cathodic liquid out of a chlor-alkali cell works GREAT for opening up slow drains, and its already "hydrated" so ya need not worry about "exothermic geysers" LOL
Haha, that's funny. I was rather unhappy when my dad decided to use my store bought NaOH (which I bought with my own money) to clean some drains. Took it right out of my cabinet.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 14-6-2014 at 01:49

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Haha, that's funny. I was rather unhappy when my dad decided to use my store bought NaOH (which I bought with my own money) to clean some drains. Took it right out of my cabinet.

I bet. Hard to find OTC here (Nevada); "why you want it? Making dope, dude?" Never mind one of most used chems in the world.

Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 14-6-2014 at 03:55

lime scale is not a problem if you have HCl
but i guess some surfaces might be damaged abit by HCl, havent seen damage on tiles using weak HCl yet, but its fairly quick, never seen tiles that clean before :D

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 14-6-2014 at 15:16

Steel wool is great for starting fires, as is cerium metal (I've never handled cerium, but it makes a ton of sparks when broken). See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRypbE8_zTo

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 16-6-2014 at 05:16

Sulfamic acid is great for talking limescale off of dishes. I permanently discolored a Formica countertop with HCl by accident while trying to achieve the same goal in a plastic tub.

Dichloromethane, chloroform, tetrachloroethylene, and to some extent acetone are really handy for removing stubborn price tags and barcode labels.

Fresh warm piranha solution is great for cleaning flower vases with organic crap in the bottom. It's quick but not very economical.

Yes, the toxicities of many things are overrated. Maybe you are really good at cleaning it and maybe nothing will happen to you. It's just that I would much rather lay on my deathbed, wasting away from cancer, knowing that I didn't do anything that may have caused it. It would suck to be dying and wishing you hadn't washed the dishes in chromic acid all those years ago, regardless if it was the cause of your cancer or not.

[Edited on 16-6-2014 by Praxichys]

Go To Top