Printable Version  
Author: Subject: formic acid synths
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 10:10
formic acid synths

Hi
I would like to make a small amount of formic acid by small I mean 100ml or less.
How do I hydrolise chloroform to make formic acid? And what other ways would make it.
Thanks for the help
LG
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 11:11

Oxidation of methanol is probably the simplest OTC method.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 13:12

Ok thanks. I will look into that. I want to compare with ant formic acid from my red and black ant farms
HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 16:00

Actualy, the best OTC method to produce small quantities of formic acid is the Glycerin - Oxalic Acid method:
http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/formic.acid....
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 16:50

I will second the oxalic acid method. I have tried and made a couple mL even with horrible 5% oxalic acid cleaner. The glycerol is recycled, too, so even more convenient.

HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 17:43

Quote: Originally posted by No Tears Only Dreams Now  
I will second the oxalic acid method. I have tried and made a couple mL even with horrible 5% oxalic acid cleaner. The glycerol is recycled, too, so even more convenient.

I've done that reaction a few times and in all of them I was left with a viscous blackish liquid, probably glycerine with side products from the various reactrions happening at the same time (AKA crap). I've never been able to recycle it.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 17:23

I just finished making some formic acid using the glycerol and oxalic acid method. I started by refluxing a mixture of 28 mL of glycerol (it was all that I had, I need to buy more) and 16 g of oxalic acid at about 100°C until CO2 evolution ceased. Then I set it up for simple distillation and distilled the product, with the distillate coming over at around 100-110°C. My yield was 16 mL of crude formic acid, but I have not yet titrated it to determine the concentration, and might not anyway since it's a quite small amount and I don't really need to know. It has a terribly sharp and biting smell to it, intensely burning my eyes and nostrils if I do so little to disturb it as pouring some into another container.

Next time I make it (at the suggestion of plante1999 via Skype), I will neutralize the formic acid after the initial reflux step, and then distill everything in the solution with a BP of less than 100°C to remove the allyl alcohol impurity that is formed in the reaction. This will be followed by reacidifying the residual sodium formate solution and distilling the more pure formic acid.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 4-6-2015 at 07:46

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  

Next time I make it (at the suggestion of plante1999 via Skype), I will neutralize the formic acid after the initial reflux step, and then distill everything in the solution with a BP of less than 100°C to remove the allyl alcohol impurity that is formed in the reaction. This will be followed by reacidifying the residual sodium formate solution and distilling the more pure formic acid.

I recall allyl alcohol being a lachrymator, so I can imagine the distillate being quite irritating! :)
Oscilllator
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-6-2015 at 19:12

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
I recall allyl alcohol being a lachrymator, so I can imagine the distillate being quite irritating! :)

Methinks this contributed to zts16's burning of the eyes and nostrils.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 4-6-2015 at 19:16

Quote: Originally posted by Oscilllator  
Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  

Methinks this contributed to zts16's burning of the eyes and nostrils.
I think it must have, because I've worked with pure 78% formic acid at school before, and while that definitely had an irritating odor, it was nowhere near as bad as the stuff that I made yesterday. It caught me somewhat off guard, as I hadn't read previously that allyl alcohol was a lachrymator.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top