Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best TATP synthesis conditions
alhasan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-12-2014 at 12:47
Best TATP synthesis conditions

For a while, I've seen some videos on youtube, and read some articles on the web about Acetone peroxide; I'm trying to reach the best way to synthesize and handle it.

The most interesting information about AP synthesis I found, was in the paper called:
Factors Influencing TATP and DADP Formation (Two Parts).

So, I tried to get the best conditions to synthesize pure TATP according to that paper; And I had the following:

Molar ratios:
1 mole Hydrogen peroxide,
1 mole Acetone, and
0.8 mole Sulfuric acid.

Concentrations:
1 litre Water for each 10 to 30 moles Hydrogen peroxide (Higher concentrations is preferred).
1 litre Water for each 1 to 5 moles Sulfuric acid (Lower concentrations is preferred).

Procedure:
Add sulfuric acid to HP/Acetone mixture, keeping temperature at 5C for about 24 hours.

Also I found that adding about 15mL of Methanol (or Ethanol) for each 0.1 mole of acid helps well to retard decomposition of TATP formed into DADP; But I'm not sure about the ratio, and don't know when to be added.

I'll be very pleased discussing these ratios and procedure, specially for those who read the paper before or have some experience dealing with AP.

I know it's so dangerous, so I'm trying to do my best before proceeding.

Thanks.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 21-12-2014 at 13:05

There's lots of literature in the subject and no need to make a new thread.
There's little more to disscus about the raitos as you asked no questions.
The only safe way to handle AP is not to handle it! It's very unpredictable and sometimes can survive moderate shock and the next minute explode in your hand at the slightest movement. I recommend that you stay away from it. MEKP is just as easy to make, and is much more stable, try that if you must.

[Edited on 21-12-2014 by Zyklon-A]

alhasan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-12-2014 at 13:32

Thanks about MEKP recommendation; I think it will help.

I didn't find alot of literature, may be my sources didn't help; I searched some sites, and also looked in COPAE, Urbanski's. If there is a recommended literature I'll be pleased to know it.

Also, I need to know if these ratios are the best to get TATP or I messed the point while reading the paper; It's a study concern for me.

Moreover, explaining the Alcohol addition will be very helpful.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 21-12-2014 at 18:09

No problem. Here's a recent MEKP synthesis thread
Be safe! It's more stable than AP but still not super stable.
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
21-12-2014 at 20:37
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 21-12-2014 at 20:45

Hi- Welcome to sciencemadness.org

Read the FAQ BEFORE starting a new thread outside of beginnings. MOST especially in EM.

Remember:

It is ALLWAYS better to post in an existing thread than to open a new one!.

After you have researched the existing site threads on peroxides, select which one you would like your thread to be merged with, PM me with that information.

[Edited on 22-12-2014 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Closed
21-12-2014 at 20:55

Go To Top