Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: KMnO4 + HCl
quantumcorespacealchemyst
Banned Shitposter

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 03:06
KMnO4 + HCl

After looking at this a bit and seeing there are some different gasses evolved and there are some different balanced equations given, seeing Internet searches seemingly turn up balanced reactions that are questionable, reading about HOCl production from this reaction and verifying this by reaction, I am wondering about the balanced equations depending on conditions

here http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=20654&... has some about it

And especially here http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=20063#...
About the available chlorine
So I have more calculating to do.

Nonetheless, before seeing the threads above I was wondering about the yields and equations and worked out this (attached picture) keeping in mind a thread that mentions in the old days they used to produce HOCl from the reaction as it evolves it as gas. and it seems to need to add the available chlorine part to calculate Cl2 gas production and also the part from the first thread about hydroxides making oxides of the manganese and also solution saturation of chloride and salt precipitation (the reaction I ran has precipitate too).

the reaction was 60.7ml (I think 20%) muriatic acid run through one distillation. 5.511g KNO3, 1.071g Ag (didn't do much, skinned over with chloride and some darker stuff). that was refluxed and was giving off nitrogen oxides, bubbled into ammonia.
this is where it got interesting to me, I added 2.309-0.980gKMnO4, smelled chlorine/HCl, capped it back with the plug/bubbler and got some chloramines. :P so much so, it turned the bit of ammonia, slightly amber/brown. smelly, I saved that in a brown Teflon capped bottle, and found it put some manganese water/ammonia? hydroxide? in solution. then I put NaOH/some NaOCl solution as the wash solution and after some heating/stirring and cooling added the rest of the KMnO4 (0.980g) along with around 9g of wet, once crystallized NaOOCH3 from Heinz vinegar and arm and hammer baking soda, I smelled the hypochlorite and put the plug/vent piece back on the condenser and the bleach solution got more yellow. the mix was refluxed near boiling and then at to get all the KMnO4 to drip out of the condenser that was stuck there but turned it down once the drops were reacting with too violent gas bursts. at around there, the last of the permanganate was dripped/sliding into the liquid, which had went from yellow when hot to olive when cool. on reheating sub boiling to coax the last bits to drip and finding no further movement, the once agin yellow solution was cooled and remained yellow, had precipitate refall (was noticed when cooled from boiling or before).

I believe/hope the organics in the acetate were broken down and evolved as CO2 although it wasn't H2SO4 in there.

while all this seems like a slurry, because it is, there are relevant observations to KMnO4 + HCl here, I believe, especially with the acetate, being the anion of acetic acid and said to catalyze HOCl rather than HCl by some in regards to KMnO4 interaction when used with H2O2, an oxidizer. I read that on a silver thread here, about combining H2O2 with HCl making Cl2, while with a weak acid, acetic, there is HOCl produced. further on that thread I believe it mentions KMnO4 and old practice of adding to HCl to produce HOCl gas. (I will look for this)

heres the attached formulas, they need work as I mentioned and nonetheless seem to be accurate to the point of needing free chlorine worked in.

picture528.jpg - 262kB
quantumcorespacealchemyst
Banned Shitposter

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 13:09

I am mistaken, the quote about producing HOCl comes from here http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=23280
Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  
Here is a stab at it. Passing HCl vapors and air into a heated solution of KMnO4 in H2SO4 forms HOCl vapors (a very old preparation that oxidizes HCl) that can be collected. The latter, Hypochlorous acid, is capable of oxidizing many organic compounds.

Eddie from https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101025163812A... says
4NH3 + Cl2 -> N2H4 + 2NH4Cl

So with Cl2 it seems there is hydrazine formation nonetheless, not only ammonium chloride. There seemed to be chloramine produced, so I guess there are side reactions, and/or NO3/nitrogen oxide influence. The time I smelled hypochlorite may have to do with the acetate ion.
I believe I smelled hypochlorite on the second addition Of KMnO4 (before putting the gas vent adapter back on the condenser), and the first addition bubbled into ammonia and gave what smelled like chloramine. I don't know, it's a mystery to me right now.

>>>>The yellow solution obtained from the experiment is acidic with a smell of HCl and on standing for a few minutes or less, my throat felt irritated, something plain HCl doesn't do in my experience.
it may contain nitrosyl chloride (I think that is the term) NO2Cl or something else in an acid form or gas, I don't know.

It is stored in a brown bottle capped with PTFE sheet cut to fit in the cap. The insoluble off white powder was wet with acid and not having much distilled water left, I neutralized it with NaOH, resulting in some black around the pellets as they dissolved and a light brown precipitate mixed with the off white. there seems to be more precipitate now.

Edit: changed I am is taken to I am mistaken haHAHAHA

[Edited on 6-2-2015 by quantumcorespacealchemyst]

[Edited on 7-2-2015 by quantumcorespacealchemyst]

[Edited on 7-2-2015 by quantumcorespacealchemyst]

Go To Top