Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: wondering about Cn and unstable heavy elements
quantumcorespacealchemyst
Banned Shitposter

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 15:02
wondering about Cn and unstable heavy elements

I know this is kind of a physics question but what if electron orbital hybridization from forming compounds can warp/reshape the nucleus to stabilize an otherwise unstable element?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 16:34

I am nowhere near qualified to answer that. But I do know that electron behaviour for these heavy elements is by no means straightforward. Quantum effects come into play with all kinds of strange results. It is speculated that element 118 for example may not be a noble element. The extended periodic table beyond 118 is predicted to be all kinds of broken up and not follow the established patterns for the first seven periods. Even an element like Hg gains its characteristic low melting point from quantum effects in the electrons. (Otherwise, as I recall the MP would be some 50K higher.) Similarly gold has its yellow colour from quantum effects on the electrons.

But as for electron-nucleus interaction and the possibility of nucleus stabilisation, better minds than mine would have to answer this. I am sure that if it was a possibility then it would have been attempted or at least a possible mechanism discussed. The problem as I see it is that it is hard enough to make these elements and detect them let alone manipulate them. Although I believe that some Sg chemistry has been attempted. http://www.periodicvideos.com/videos/seaborgium_compound.htm

Interesting question.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 16:52

IIRC isotopes which only decay by electron capture can be stabilized by preventing it, but I wouldn't know where to begin looking for details. Something to search for if you're interested.
quantumcorespacealchemyst
Banned Shitposter

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 21:47

Thank you both.

Go To Top