Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: More Ghetto Glassware
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 22-7-2015 at 10:30
More Ghetto Glassware

Just a beaker and a wide-necked funnel from an empty wine bottle.

The 'beaker' has a cone in the bottom, but what can you expect for free ?

After using the jig to score the glass using the glass cutter, simply heat the bottle over a flame while turning to keep the heat even. When the glass feels hot to the touch, dunk the end into a saucepan of water with ice cubes in it.

The glass will crack all around the score line.

Pull, and it will break cleanly (mine did after 3 tries when it didn't)

Use a stone/emery paper/sandpaper to smooth down the edges so they are not sharp.

cutting.JPG - 146kB parted.JPG - 108kB funnel.JPG - 112kB

Edit:

the wooden jig to help get the score line stright is essential : if it's all wobbly, the glass will not break cleanly (or straight).

[Edited on 22-7-2015 by aga]

battoussai114
Hazard to Others

Mood: Not bad.... Not bad.

[*] posted on 22-7-2015 at 10:58

IMO its easier to cut glass by dipping a piece of thread in alcohol (or a fuel of your preference) tyeing it to the bottle and lighting it up, then dip it in the cold water.
Another cool technique involves making a line on the glass with something conductive and throwing it in the MW oven.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 22-7-2015 at 11:07

Do it !

Photos please.

It would be interesting to compare Results.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-7-2015 at 19:10

I remember doing things like this myself when I was young in order to get labware. It works for simple stuff, but just using jars also works. For things not being heated, there is no big risk, just don't use homemade beakers for heating things in, better to just use a glass measuring cup or cheap beaker.

In anyone needs funnels, I still have many plastic ones for cheap, mostly plastic powder funnels in small, medium, and some larger ones, plus a few other types. They are polypropylene, which resists most chemicals, and is very useful in the lab. I use them daily, and more often than glass, since they don't break. But I still like glass for some things as well, just depends on the needs.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 22-7-2015 at 21:08

Don't forget the Ronco glass cutter from Ron Popeil. He also gave us the Vegamatic and the Pocket Fisherman, IIRC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhrHnhMGWEc

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 22-7-2015 at 22:29

Quote: Originally posted by battoussai114  
IMO its easier to cut glass by dipping a piece of thread in alcohol (or a fuel of your preference) tyeing it to the bottle and lighting it up, then dip it in the cold water.
Another cool technique involves making a line on the glass with something conductive and throwing it in the MW oven.

I wish I had known this trick a couple of days ago. I was trying to resurrect a broken 400mL beaker by cutting it down to half height. I wasn't successful. Not quite shattered but nothing usable after my attempted fix.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-7-2015 at 16:02

vacuum flask with a click pen in a drilled out hole.works with a blower nozzle and air compressor.99 cent 1/4 inch diamond hole drill bit from ebay was used and some epoxy.

100_0096.JPG - 1.1MB

[Edited on 7-24-2015 by cyanureeves] wow! my little kodak easy share camera can take pretty good pictures.you can clearly see my a.moncada painting. good thing there wasnt a mirror back there.

[Edited on 7-24-2015 by cyanureeves]
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 23-7-2015 at 17:18

I know this is a lot of fun but filter flask on ebay are pretty cheap. I have a book that uses homebrew funnels for filter cones used in herbal medicine making. If you like making these I'd trade you for a nice filter flask.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top