Author: Subject: Prepearation of Toluene from benzene
100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-8-2015 at 11:48
Prepearation of Toluene from benzene

Hello,
I am new to this forum.

I saw a method awhile back, but I can't seem to find it. What is an easy way to make toluene from benzene? Also how much of each chemical should I use?
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 21-8-2015 at 11:56

It's like making lead from gold. Toluene is a cheap hardware store chemical. I think you might do it with CH3I in the presence of aluminum chloride but why would you. Experimenting is fun. Before you experiment with carcinogens and pyrophoric cmpds you should it least learn stoichiometry. (I couldn't find benzene from toluene here either)

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 21-8-2015 at 12:38

Actually toluene is hard to acquire in many places, so such a reaction could be useful.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-8-2015 at 13:26

The closest thing is Xylol Xylene at my store. They don't sell Toluene.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 21-8-2015 at 14:42

It might be easier to make a list of the things that you Can buy, and seek routes to toluene from each of those.

One of them may be easier than the others.

Which country are you in ?

Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 21-8-2015 at 14:50

I'd have to agree with Chemrox here.

Lead from gold is a very apt analogy.

If your proposed idea is just for the aquisition of toluene l'm sure there are plenty of people here who would trade your benzene for toluene.

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
MeshPL
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-8-2015 at 04:46

Don't even try CH3I and aluminium chloride catalyst. With Friedel-Crafts alkylation it is nearly impossible to prevent over alkylation turning some of the toluene to xylenes and other methylated benzenes. In fact toluene is more easily alkylated than benzene. You may get some toluene but extracting it may be a pain, especially due to azeotropes forming and yield may be around 40% or less (I guess), unless using a huge excess of benzene. Also water is a huge issue with such reactions.

There is no straightforward route for benzene->toluene. One simpler route I can think of involves Blanc chloromethylation of benzene to benzyl chloride ("chlorotoluene"), then turning it into Grignard reagent and hydrolysing it. This route is simple but not easy to do, requiring total exclusion of water from reaction vessels. Feasible mostly in laboratory.

Industrially toluene is produced in BTX process, but unless you are able to make aparature able to withstand high temperatures and pressures as well as separate toluene from xylenes, benzene and so on it is obviously not an option.

There are obviously more ways to make toluene but I can't think of any that an amateur could use.
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
28-8-2015 at 03:23

Go To Top