Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Opening an educational science store.
rebenergy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-9-2015 at 17:03
Opening an educational science store.

Hello science madness members.
For many years I have considered the options of opening a science oddities store. This store would sell vintage science books, equipment, parts, for the enthusiasts and modern educational material for students. Recently, I purchased a downtown building that would be ideal for my science oddities store. I am semi retired and the store would not need to provide a living income for me, as it would be more of a hobby and a service to our community and surrounding area.
I would like to tap your experience and connections, to find more resources for educational materials and equipment that could be purchased and resold in the store. I would also like to ask for feedback on pursuing this idea and if you could foresee complications that I have not realized. Of course I have collected books, equipment and hardware that would fill the floor space for some time to start with.
Any comments or feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you
Pat
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 24-9-2015 at 17:30

Where are you based?

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
rebenergy
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-9-2015 at 17:43

I am located in Yankton South Dakota. It is a small town with a population of 15,000, but located reasonably close to three other cities with populations between 100 and 200,000. We have a large tourist industry which draws close to 1 million visitors a year.
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 24-9-2015 at 17:50

Okay, a bit too far for me to drop in!

What do you plan to stock?

Have you a list?

Online shop?

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
rebenergy
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-9-2015 at 18:26

No. No online shopping, as I'm just keeping it simple for tourists and homeschool students. The community of Yankton has supported our schools and the science Olympiad program's.
rebenergy
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-9-2015 at 18:36

My stock an inventory would be open ended, based on surplus auctions from industry and universities. I would try to keep a consistent supply of up-to-date educational material, but everything else might be a changing inventory depending on the sources I have to buy from.
I understand that I cannot compete with the Internet mail-order prices, but I would like to target the customer that would become enthused by the unique inventory and the interested students working with science projects or educational games.
rebenergy
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-9-2015 at 18:45

As for a list of opening door inventory, it would contain many of the items I've collected for the last 40 years. That is, everything from World War II surplus electronic equipment to chemistry and physics supplies. I have or had a library that covered a complete spectrum of science with vintage books. As a young college student from the 70s I tapped the University garbage trucks as the library's work clearing their shelves of old science books. Sadly, I recently hired some high school students to help clear out a storage barn full of those vintage library science books. I did not realize at the time that boxes of vintage books were left outside the range on and ruined by the elements.
At this time I have no idea of my total inventory, but I do know I could fill my store from treasures stored in my Barnes.
rebenergy
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-9-2015 at 18:53

I feel the store is a way of inspiring future scientist.
When I was young we were given the freedom to buy a chemistry set and begin discovery. Now in this politically correct world, they are so afraid of liability and litigation, that young interests have no chance of hands on science.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 24-9-2015 at 20:25

One idea. If you are targetting home scoolers, find out what they are using for practical science curriculum and package accordingly.
TheHomeScientist recommends a homeschool resource which is apparently widely used and has some experiments to match. Not sure if this is exactly the product you need, but synchronising with what is currently being used would get you a foot in the door.

[Edited on 25-9-2015 by j_sum1]
rebenergy
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-9-2015 at 08:58

Thank you for the information, I will look into that.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 13:11

If you don't plan on catering to online sales, I'd recommend having a wide range of products, elsewise it may be unlikely that your business will find something they like. I'm sure you know this, though.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 13:59

Waste as much money as you can on a romantic notion, OR just take a glance at Business as a Science.

More time and effort has been put into understanding Business than Chemistry.

Sadly more time and effort have been put into Computers and the communication between them than any other Artefact in human history.

Reference me wrong you nay-sayers !

Go To Top