Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2-ACETYL THIOPHENE
SESHU
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-3-2016 at 17:44
2-ACETYL THIOPHENE

Hi

I want to make 2-acetyl thiophene from thiophene and acetic anhydride in presence of phophoric acid. i am getting the product (2-acetyl thiophene with 99% purity and 0.5% 3-acetyl thiophene content) after distillation. it is forming ~ 1.0% in reaction it self, can any one help me to minimize the 3-acetyl thiophene in reaction it self/ purification method to get the 3-acetyl thiophene content below 0.2%.

Thanks
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 29-3-2016 at 23:46

Maybe 2-acetylthiophene acts as a bidentate ligand for some cation? Producing the complex could get you your separation.
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-3-2016 at 05:45

@SESHU, its very difficult to offer any advise if you don't give us a reference to the procedure so we can examine it. However, from my experience (fairly limited) of thiophene chemistry is that if you are only getting 1% of less of the 3 isomer that is excellant. If the acetyl thiophene is an intermediate itself you are probably better just to repeatedly recrystallise the final product to remove the isomeric compound. Trying to reduce the production of the 3 isomer further looks like a lost cause to me.

Incidently I eventually purchased some 2-acetylthiophene, the manufacturer is Aldrich and the product claims to be a minimum of 99% but even so that leaves scope for as much as 1% of the 3 isomer. What purpose exactly requires such a high purity if you don't mind me asking?

Go To Top