Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New OTC UK source of Chlorobenzene
NitreRat
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 07:51
New OTC UK source of Chlorobenzene

Recently APC Pure has added some useful chemicals to their Catalogue such as Acetophenone, Acetonitrile and 2-Methyltetrahydrofuran. However the thing that caught my eye was 2-Chlorobenzoic Acid (100g fo £7.74).
I might be mistaken, but this compound should theoretically be even easier to decarboxylate than Salicylic acid. You don't even have to worry about the product clogging you condenser like phenol does. Hopefully the reaction could be performed in a high-boiling solvent. Thoughts?

[Edited on 5/10/2016 by NitreRat]
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 09:01

I tried ordering from them but they wouldn't ship those items to the USA. They will ship some things, but the acetophenone, acetonitrile, and 2-MeTHF aren't able to be shipped due to their carriers restrictions.

They say to contact them first so they can verify whether it can be shipped.
NitreRat
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 10:41

It seems strange to me that they won't ship toluene or dichloroethane without all the right paperwork, yet if you live in the UK they'll ship you things like 2-Chlorobenzoic Acid, Hydroxylamine and 2-methoxyphenylacetic acid to your tiny urban arpartment - no questions asked.

On that note. 2-methoxyphenylacetic acid... Just why? The only use I can find for it was in this obscure paper: http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/papers/18830129
even a meth(caline)-cook would scratch his head at this one.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 12:56

I know people who are unable to order from chemical suppliers that have no problems whatsoever shipping to me, and I don't understand it... one of these individuals has an MBA and should have no problems conducting himself in a professional manner on the phone and should be able to understand things like accounts and logistics... but he is unable to obtain the most basic chemicals. My guess is that he's failing some test that chemical suppliers use to decide whether or not to sell to a customer, and it's something I easily pass without even thinking about it, but I don't know what it is... I find it baffling.

Go To Top