Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alcohol distillation using a "thumper" - thoughts?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-6-2016 at 22:15
Alcohol distillation using a "thumper" - thoughts?

I've seen the shows where the moonshiners are showing their setups using a thumper to get high proof liquor. They say they can get 85-95% with this method. I've seen a lot of people say this is all BS and that it won't work and is pointless.

After running a few small distillations of various liquids and running the vapors into a collecting jar, with the steam heating it, it seems the thumper is a very plausible method.

The thumper is there to catch the "flash" distill run which will carry over maybe 20-60% or so (depends a lot on the wash/mash). This liquid is collected in the thumper. The thumper liquid will distill over at a lower temp as it is a higher % so it will probably settle at between 168-172F while the steam coming over is usually 175-185F so this temp difference and the fact that much water is coming over at 175-185 drives the vaporization of the alcohol in the thumper driving it up and to the condenser (or worm as some call it).

For those who do 2 or more runs to get their final product, this method seem much more efficient as it can get a high end proof from a single run.

The only issue that I can see with this method is that there is not way to collect the heads and tails of a run as everything is mixed in the thumper. Unless it is possible for all the "heads" passing to the thumper, and then when the thumper starts feeding the condenser, will the heads pass over first? I have a feeling that it would, but am not sure and have heard this may be an issue.

Has anyone else tried this or have opinions on how this will work?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-6-2016 at 22:25

I lost track of the technical details rather quickly but there was an extensive discussion on this method not too long ago. There was considerable skepticism and much discussion of thermodynamics and vapour pressures and other dark arts. And then some experimentation -- which proved successful. The process is indeed legitimate.

Thread was started by zombie (whom we have not seen for some time.) I'll see if I can dig it up.

Correction -- started by bloggers.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=61566
Happy reading.

[Edited on 19-6-2016 by j_sum1]

ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-6-2016 at 00:48

Thumpers do work. I've used them. The result was 70-80% alcohol right from the still.

Smells like ammonia....

Go To Top