Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mechanical Sifting Tower, powders
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 24-10-2021 at 22:44
Mechanical Sifting Tower, powders

I have put together a device that effortlessly and mechanically sifts powders through a stainless sieve, eliminating health risks with dust exposure
https://gyazo.com/629b789f713c430f186ae636d8148305

first frame: the device: top piece leading to lower piece, 300# 316 mesh situated in between leading to collection cup

second frame: shows stainless cable clamps that keeps the electric sander in place, to serve as vibrator

third frame: the "flange" mechanism

fourth frame: the collection cup

fifth frame: showing inside the tube seen from top, stainless mesh

sixth frame: before/after sifting, dark magnalium pictured

The device is constructed out of 10mm thick polyethylene pipes, 2 segments of 140mm, outer diameter 90
for replicating this device its important that the tubes used are sturdy and thick so that the metal mesh can be held safely in place

the flange mechanism is made by 3mm bent steel plates, theyre mounted on the pipes using basic screws, the flanges are connected by a 7mm hole and M6 hole and M6 bolt, before the mesh is clamped into place, duct tape is added to both pipeends as its softer than the pipe itself and makes for a better seal

the bottom collection cup can be made by just strapping duct tape across but i went a bit extra and made an aluminium plate- which was then duct taped in place, duct tape lasts vibrations very well so i didnt bother gluing it all together

the concept of a vibrating sifting tower is that the vibrations will cause the smallest particles to fall down through the larger particles, ending up in the mesh- and the appropriate particles falling through
leaving the device on for longer time gives you relatively larger particles
a few minutes is plenty time to run 500g through
the more crude the mesh size is, the less runtime you need for it.

edit: image not embedding

[Edited on 25-10-2021 by Antiswat]

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-10-2021 at 01:40

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  

a few minutes is plenty time to run 500g through
[Edited on 25-10-2021 by Antiswat]

Dang, building a sifting tower is cool in itselft but that's some efficiency !

Some time ago I found some small (3-4cm diameter) and relatively cheap sifting baskets on ebay.
They were superb quality steel, made to be placed on top of each other and had all the mesh sizes so I figured they were exactly meant for that.
I wondered what cheap vibration source I could use and left the project at that.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2021 at 16:07

It looks like the pipe is clamped the body of the sander not to the plate that moves ???. Does the plate just rub on the tube?

I would think clamping the tube to the plate would be better as it would produce more motion.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 29-10-2021 at 14:09

its clamped tightly, the bottom part of the sander doesnt vibrate, its pressed well against the pipe

i did mess around with some vibrator motors, infact i acquired a 500e vibrator motor for industry, 300w i believe, but fiddling with phases and what not i couldnt get it to run, if i could i could basically dump it in a steel barrel with some brittle metal alloy for a day and come back to just pure dust
if one has some welding apparatus, you can simply tack a small piece of roundsteel to the tip of an electric motor, but these small electric motors can be quite expensive compared to an old sander, they may not run for very long either and you usually want something to down/uptune the rpm's of the spindle
before realizing that sanders exist, i thought of using a speakercone to cause vibrations, but it was too technical, an battery-hand drill wired to a power source with the trigger button clamped down to a specific speed, and a bent steel rod in the chuck- moving whatever sifting device could also work for vibrations

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html

Go To Top