Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ethylene Production
4-Stroke
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-5-2024 at 14:13
Ethylene Production

So I saw this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKFEbYdKdJg) about making ethylene gas. I did not find any other videos about making ethylene in any useful quantities. Here are my questions:

1. Is there any formula/chart to determine how big the tube/surface area of the aluminum oxide should be? (As it the minimum dimensions required to convert say, 100g/h of alcohol vapor into ethylene.)

2. Is the sulfuric acid + ethanol method better? Because if the sulfuric acid can be regenerated, it would be a much better way as it is a lot faster and just less hassle. Does anyone know the yields and the procedure for this method? Sorry, I couldn't find any except the one from the "War Gases" book, and the yields/reaction duration are not specified.

3. I can't seem to find much information on ethylene gas at all. Are there are books/patents/SM threads that I should read?

Thanks in advance, and any help would be appreciated :D
charley1957
Hazard to Others

Mood: Extracted

[*] posted on 21-5-2024 at 15:13

https://dacemirror.sci-hub.se/journal-article/69d90edebd841c...

Not sure if this will work or not.

The YouTube video shows that to be a piece of 1” pipe, looks to be about 16 inches long or so. He didn’t give any dimensions other than the 1” pipe, so it doesn’t appear to be really critical. Try it, see what happens.

[Edited on May05-21-2024 by charley1957]

You can’t claim you drank all day if you didn’t start early in the morning.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 21-5-2024 at 15:19

When I first started getting into chemistry I made a batch of ether. I 'winged it' and just added sulfuric till it felt fine. Ended up making tons of ethylene while would blow through my Graham condenser non-stop. No clue on how well it would work preparatively. What would you consider a useful quantity? Are you planning on using liquid nitrogen to liquefy it?

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
bnull
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy (again)

[*] posted on 21-5-2024 at 17:29

(1) Sorry, no idea. I suspect that in your case it will be trial and error.

(2) See J. B. Cohen, Practical Organic Chemistry, Preparation 4 ("Ethylene Bromide"), p. 62. It is basically a mismanaged ether production. The setup below should be good enough. You can recover sulfuric acid by decomposition of the sulfite or bisulfite in the wash bottles and oxidation of the sulfur dioxide formed, maybe by absorption into hydrogen peroxide.

wthit.png - 32kB

(3) The first useful links that appear when I search for "ethene from ethanol alumina" are: J. D. Butler, "Kinetics of the catalytic dehydration of ethanol over alumina"; S. P. Banzaraktsaeva, "Ethanol-to-ethylene dehydration on acid-modified ring-shaped alumina catalyst in a tubular reactor"; patent GB2049645A, "Activated alumina catalyst for the conversion of ethanol to ethylene". On the other hand, "dehydration of ethanol to ethylene" gives: D. Fan, D.-J. Dai, H.-S.Wu, "Ethylene Formation by Catalytic Dehydration of Ethanol with Industrial Considerations"; M. Zhang, Y. Yu, "Dehydration of Ethanol to Ethylene"; BASF, "Ethanol to Ethylene (E2E)"; L. Ouayloul et al., "New mechanistic insights into the role of water in the dehydration of ethanol into ethylene over ZSM-5 catalysts at low temperature".

By the way, be careful. Ethylene is also used as anaesthetic and you may feel a little funny if there is a leak nearby.

@BromicAcid: My first contact with ether involved accidentally setting my hand on fire. Good old times...

Quod scripsi, scripsi.

B. N. Ull

P.S.: Did you know that we have a Library?

Go To Top