Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Glassware in Texas - Register or Not?
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 3-10-2007 at 06:46

Something my grandfather said to me when I was young still very much applies today ...the less that other people know about your business the better off you are .

And something a very good lawyer told me a long time ago also still very much applies today ....other than giving the police your license and registration during a traffic stop ,
you don't give the police the time of day without a lawyer ,
don't consent to anything and don't answer questions and don't file declarations or sign a damn thing , no matter how harmless it may seem because it is guaranteed not to be in your interest to do so . Police have a long history of making something out of nothing , and being given an inch will take a mile , and lead you down a path you don't want to go . They are not your "friend" so much as they are "enforcers" for a tyrannical state . Peace officers should keep the peace , and stirring up trouble where there isn't any doesn't fit that job description , but they do it regularly anyway ......and they will lie to anyone in a new york second as part and parcel of "investigative technique" . A stack of "arrest jackets" makes them look like they are "doing their job" , so that's what they want to be doing , "making cases" ....legitimate or not ......and it is up to the persons arrested to "tell it to the judge" who is often as corrupt as their "enforcers" who drag citizens before those magistrates in rat courts which rubber stamp
the cases they hear . Plea bargains are often bad faith ,
lying promises offered to secure guilty pleas from the innocent in exchange for "probation" which turns into an extortion and revolving door of BS "violation of probation"
arrests which turns any lessser offense into a life sentence ...where the "probationer" is on the hook for LIFE , and never able to "pay his debt to society" .

Have no illusions about it , when you are dealing with the police .....you ARE talking to the gestapo . Be very clear on that and govern yourself accordingly .
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 3-10-2007 at 18:30

Rosco says take the advise of his lawyer friend. I say the lawyers are to blame, the Bard was right, first thing we should do is kill all the lawyers.

Almost all politicians are lawyers. Who else to blame? Almost every legislator at every level is a lawyer. They write the laws that you object to. Evil_lurker says the cops stack up extra charges, but it's actually the assistant DAs who do that and not the cops at all, though they are part of the process. And 100% of the DAs are lawyers.

The lawyers have fucked up the country since approximately 1776.

[Edited on 4-10-2007 by Sauron]

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 3-10-2007 at 22:35

I just laid it right square on the line , and am sure it won't sit well with some folks having it stated just that matter of factly , since they may be more comfortable with a theory
about how different it is or ideally should be ....in spite of the way it really is , since that simpler truth is so unsettling in its implications . There's a few things in life about which I am 100% certain , and what I said is sure one of them proved out by a lifetime of experience and observation and absolutely good first hand information .
You think about all the corruption there is in government at all levels and just remember it is at *all* levels and you will get the true picture . What might pass for cynicism on my part is hard bought experience . But ignorance is bliss , so everyone go on and believe whatever you will until reality comes to call , and then remember I told you so .
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 5-10-2007 at 02:04

Sauron. It is a violation of many state laws to use a product "inconsistent with it's labeling". And regardless of how significant this charge is (tearing the tag off your mattress is not illegal if you are a consumer) if the LE agency that sees this doesn't like you for any reason, you will almost certainly go to jail.

I have a perfect example. I was staying with a roommate at an apartment complex. At this time I was not very interested in chemistry and had just a dozen pieces of glassware or so in a box in my room (along with maybe 2 unlabeled chemicals). My roommate moved out and I was in the process of doing so. Somehow the cops were tipped off that I had some sort of lab (don't tell anyone you have an interest in chemistry) and they came to the door while I was moving stuff out. They found my chemistry stuff and HATED it. They starting saying stuff like "where's the meth" and they got extremely frustrated when their meth/MDMA tests came up negative (and subsequent tests neg for drugs/explosives). So after a few hours of going through all my packed up stuff, towing my car and breaking most of my glassware (they said it was an accident), they finally arrested me. And what for? Trespassing, because my roommate wasn't there to tell them that I was staying there legally. It ended up not sticking in court but it goes to show exactly what cops CAN do if they WANT TO. They will find any small thing. Even if it is a misdemeanor pertaining to unlawful use of a household product (they can try to say you were using your ether, toluene or tetrafluoroethane as an inhalant).

---Oh yeah, at one point they said I would be charged with "conspiracy to manufacture a destructive device" because of the glassware and my electronics kit that I happened to have an old thermostat in (mercury switches). But, thankfully, never did.

I WILL find the law in my state.

Here's this one to start out with about pesticides:

20-20-227. Penalties for use inconsistent with labeling.
(a) Any person who uses a pesticide in a manner inconsistent with its labeling is subject to the jurisdiction of the State Plant Board and its statutes, rules, and orders over which it has regulatory authority and may be subject to denial, suspension, revocation, or modification of a license or permit under § 20-20-214.

(b) Any person who knowingly uses a pesticide in a manner inconsistent with its labeling shall be guilty of a violation and upon conviction shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500).

History. Acts 1995, No. 85, § 2; 1995, No. 110, § 2; 2005, No. 1994, § 119.

I will find more later but it's bedtime.

And thanks for the info Cpt. D!

[Edited on 10-6-2007 by Polverone]
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 5-10-2007 at 02:47

one sec here lemme just try and put this into some sort of Perspective (For my own edification), if you DON`T register and get caught you WILL go to jail!

if you Do register and "meet the wrong cop" you MIGHT go to jail?

I think I`de still register to be honest.
I`ll take 50:50 over a 100% anyday!

and for the record I think the law in texas sucks ass Big time too, it`s pathetic!
but when in rome....

[Edited on 5-10-2007 by YT2095]

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 5-10-2007 at 08:59

The situation with the glassware law in Texas is a parallel with the gun registration laws in NYC , blatantly unconstitutional on its face . And in both cases it would seem clear enough that the only guarantee for protecting your privacy is to elevate it to secrecy , since the information which others don't have in the first place can't be exploited in any abuse of authority . If you really believe that registration is somehow covering your ass instead of bending over and spreading the KY jelly on it ....
well then go ahead and register .

You could tell them you are a diamond merchant and your chemistry set is for your hobby in crystallography . Yeah , that ought to do it .
undead_alchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Tired, Cleaning up corporate messes at work!

[*] posted on 5-10-2007 at 09:00

Yes, Texas is not the best place for a lot of things, that I can say.
Some parts are so messed up that you even need a license just to buy alcohol,
and said license can only be had if you are a resident. So if your visiting, your out of luck...
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2007 at 12:28

--- Remember, I am speaking in general terms, of course there are exceptions to every rule. ---

For me it would be about principle. I would not register because I believe that it is wrong and unconstitutional (in some ways) for them to do that.

And also, I believe that almost any cop without a 4 year degree in chemistry will end up being the "wrong cop". Unless, of course, they like people who synthesize drugs! Ha! The first thing they will see is your glassware and chemicals. They won't care if you registered or not. To them glassware + chemicals = meth lab. There is no other equation they can come up with. Most cops I know get angry at the very mention of a meth lab. Just imagine if they thought they saw one! Like I said, it is a witch hunt atmosphere which means that laws can be exageratted to put people in jail.

You would not imagine the things that were said to me while I was being interrogated about my supposed "meth lab" and what they threatened to get me to "hand over the meth".

This law is mostly stopping legitimate chemists from starting labs.

It's the same thing with guns and the laws being proposed that they need be registered (believe it or not you DO NOT have to register guns [except for machine guns, destructive devices and AOWs]... it is federal law that I don't feel like citing right now so if your curious just go online and read the 1934 National Firearms Act, the 1968 Gun Control Act, and the 1984 Firearm Owners Protection Act and you will see).

Only legitimate gun owners will be hurt. Criminals will not register their weapons. Duh!
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-10-2007 at 10:44

Magic, you pulled a single paragraph totally out of contest from the Arkansas State Plant Board's website

http://www.plantboard.org/pesticide_pdfs/lawsandregs/ch20.pd

That law applies to licensed pesticide applicatots - that is, agro-industry and contractors for them, such as crop dusters. It mandates proper use of pesticides in accordance with manufacturer instructions in the interest of public health and safety.

This has ZERO to do with household chemicals (pesticides or not) as household chemicals are not pesticides requiring a permit from the State Plant Board to use. They are exempted.

So stop trying to buffalo the forum with this sort of hogwash.

You simply do not know what you are talking about.

[Edited on 7-10-2007 by Sauron]

forgotten
Harmless

Mood: Stellar

[*] posted on 11-10-2007 at 20:50

I thought this was a joke at first, but I guess there is some truth to Texas law.. how incredibly stupid. I suggest you learn how to blow glass and make your own pieces. It would be much easier to move out of Texas though.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2007 at 20:56

Making your own glassware would still mean importing blank glassmaker's supplies and ground glass joints into Texas, not to mention a glass lathe, burners, special goggles, an annealing oven etc. And after all that if they catch you the penalties are same as having commercially made glassware.

No annealing oven means glassware that shatters in use from thermal stresses. Bad bad bad.

Your second suggestion (move out of state) is indeed more practical, but, unpalatable for many.

forgotten
Harmless

Mood: Stellar

[*] posted on 11-10-2007 at 22:46

Romo's 4 interceptions monday night would be reason enough to move out of Texas. Throw in the glassware laws.. you'd only be left with speed freaks and illegals lol!

J/k j/k Im sure Texas is a lovely state..
indigofuzzy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Distilled

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 13:53

I know this was a while back, but:
Quote:

You have chosen to live in Texas, which is your fault.

Really? so if you're born in texas, and can't afford to move out this is a choice? NO.

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DancingRain

26 elements collected so far
fantoche
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2007 at 20:59

OK, I was considering buying one condenser to extract essential oils from plants.

From what I read in the law, I only need to register if I want to use specofic substances. Am I right, do I need to register??? :o
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-11-2007 at 21:34

I thought it was common knowledge that if law enforcement wants someone bad enough, they will find something to pin on them. Like a no dog leash law or something. (that actually happened to someone I know. She was arrested, her 3 children taken away and sent to jail for 3 weeks before going to court because she failed to pay a fine for having a dog in her front yard without a leash) Just be careful everyone. And fantoche, only you can decide what you SHOULD do (everyone has different principles) but I think the law is if you have glassware it must be registered in Texas.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top