Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Bismuth Crystals, etc.
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 22-7-2005 at 19:52

Yep, and if you need more Tim, I've still got about a kilo and a half yet to use. Guess I should've shipped that out with the kaowool...oh well.

Very pure metals can be purchased from Alfa Aesar if you have a good reason for wanting to buy it. They specialize in high end, 4N+ metals (and most other useful elements).
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 23-7-2005 at 04:28

True, but they're usually very expensive.

Why do you heat all the way to 900*C?

edit: One more question: is there a better way to separate the crystals from the liquid Bi than simply shaking?

[Edited on 23-7-2005 by neutrino]
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 26-7-2005 at 21:19

In my opinion, 900C is overkill, and I only do it so the metal and the crucible are fully 'soaked' and can then cool for a long period of time thus generating a larger crystal.

There was a guy on ebay (I think he was German) that was making spectacular crystals 8cm in breadth by heating to high temperatures in inert gas. I emailed him but received no reply. I could argue with results like his, but thus far I've failed to emulate his crystal growing procedure.

A better method than shaking? Hm, I do not know. Shaking seems risky (bismuth is rather fragile), and probably painful from the splatter.
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 27-7-2005 at 06:04

Well-formed crystals tend to stay together without much problem, although malformed ones fly apart. The only thing that separates the two types is how they’re nucleated.

Yes, burns are painful, but as a former pyro, I hardly notice them anymore.:) For the most part, the drops flying around are very small and don't cause much damage.
BismuthGuy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2011 at 12:29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3xCGP_9PdU&feature=feedu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoHtQURTxJI&feature=relat...

Been making different bismuth objects for awhile and can pretty much make any size crystal using seeds and a large stainless steel pot. The trick is to buy enough of the bismuth.

However I am more interested in the theories behind manipulating the oxidized layer to generate the wanted colors.

Has anyone experimented with introducing different amounts of oxygen into the crystal as it is removed from the molten liquid? (Although I would advise not using any high concentration of oxygen around the molten liquid lol)

[Edited on 17-10-2011 by BismuthGuy]

BismuthGuy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2011 at 12:36

Thinking about it a little more when watching Bismuth change(Usually its lighter then progressively gets darker)... It might be better to reduce the amount of oxygen in the air to get the neon rainbows until it dries.

With that said how might one go about doing that?

Plexy glass box with rubber arms to work with a layer of zink metal ?

hmm...

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top