here is the synthesis

[Edited on 7-3-2008 by amrhamed2]

r.png - 81kB

amr h mahmoud
DNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Experimenting

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 05:23

You could use the substance on the left the "ethyl 2-hydroxy-5-oxocyclopent-1-enecarboxylate" and brominate it with oxalyl dibromide.
Then you will have 2-Carbethoxy-3-bromocyclopentanon and with that you can go further since you have a halogen there.
Your question is by the way not completely clear could you elaborate.
amrhamed2
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 05:43

sorry ...I really didn't make it clear ....I want to get the substituted derivatives with R1 and R2
U said bromination but I don't know how to make it selective for one site .....u see this compound can make Tautomerism and be symmetric diketone

amr h mahmoud
DNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Experimenting

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 06:55

If you use oxalyl dibromide then the bromine will attach to where you have the OH written.
Here it is:

Journal; Buechi,G.; Weinreb,S.M.; JACSAT; J. Am. Chem. Soc.; EN; 93; 1971; 746-752.

As I am looking into the paper I just noticed that it replaces the OH and not coming on a R position
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 07:12

I suggest looking upon some double deprotonated acetoacetate esters chemistry. There are a bunch of papers on this chemistry. Essentially, you doubly deprotonate 1,3-dicarbonyl compounds making the less acidic position (position 4) the most nucleophilic, thus readily selectively alkylated. You can then quench with ethyl chloroformate to add the EtOCO- group on the position 2 of 1,3-cyclopentandione. Alternatively, I would suggest preparing the target compounds starting from appropriate acyclic compounds, that is preparing the appropriate 2,3-disubstituted succinanhydrides and continuing as per that JOC reference.

[Edited on 7/3/2008 by Nicodem]

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
amrhamed2
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 09:38

well sorry for my little information
I thought about deprotonation but the problem is that will substitution favor cyclization ....
(in the cyclic structure I think the probability is the same for R1 and R2 sites)
In order to carry out deprotonation ,it should be carried out before cyclization

Well I didn't get the quenching point

rrr.png - 32kB

amr h mahmoud
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 10:14

Actually, what I thought was to rather start with the commercially available 1,3-cyclopentadione (expensive, I know). Doubly deprotonate it (I think it can be done in THF with 1 eq. NaH followed by 1 eq. BuLi; check the literature), alkylate it with whatever RX you have to put there and then quench with EtOCOCl. Though, this would get you only one substituent on place.
I don't think you will get much reasonable replies unless you provide enough information for a reasonable answer. I can understand you are having some troubles with the English language, but it doesn't look like you tried very hard. At the moment we don't even know what R1 and R2 are supposed to be.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
amrhamed2
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 11:17

I will give an example for a compound requested ....let's say I want to prepare ethyl 3-methyl-2,5-dioxo-4-propylcyclopentanecarboxylate

To Nicoderm..I am not an expert but I searched hard and found many methods that can do monosubstitution (look below
Tetrahedron Lett.; EN; 30; 13; 1989; 1705-1708.) .
What I want is disubstitution .
The problem is that the ester group can be easily removed .
Can anyone help me?:(

rrrr.png - 21kB

amr h mahmoud
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 20:06

These might be useful papers to look up: Kobayashi, Y.; Taguchi, T.; Morikawa, T. Tetrahedron Lett. 1978,
3555. Kobayasi, Y.; Taguchi, T.; Morikawa, T.; Tokuno, E.; Sekiguchi,
S. Chem. Pharm. Bull. 1980,28, 262. and you could make the derivatives on the dicarboxylate enolate compounds and then do the oxidative intramolecular coupling to the derivative cyclic diketone.. an approach anyway

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top