Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Shut off magnetic stirring before you remove the flask from the stirrer...
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 29-3-2008 at 14:33
Shut off magnetic stirring before you remove the flask from the stirrer...

...because the spinning stirring magnet could break the flask.

I just had to mop up approx. 600ml of AcOH with 18g Sulfuryl Chloride in it. Good thing this happened in a hood with 800m³/h :-/
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 29-3-2008 at 15:27

Lovely things happen when stir bars decouple don't they?

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 29-3-2008 at 16:24

You guys must have some weak flasks, heavy stirbars, super-fast stirrers or really bad luck.

This has happened to me literally hundreds of times (mostly because of suspended solids) and I have not had one breakage. Knock on wood.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
len1
National Hazard

Mood: NZ 1 (goal) - Italy 1 (dive)

[*] posted on 29-3-2008 at 16:55

I was sure this was an April Fools post. Ive done it many times and theres never even been a hint of what you describe. How many pounds does you stir bar weigh? Or is these some new chinese brand flasks?

[Edited on 30-3-2008 by len1]
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 29-3-2008 at 23:37

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
You guys must have some weak flasks, heavy stirbars, super-fast stirrers or really bad luck.

that incident was a combination of all that, it was an old flask from the days when they thought 1mm wall thickness was enough. the stir bar was superstrong and egg-shaped.

too bad i lost like 1000 EUR worth of product. i wish this would be an april fools post, but it's not april yet. the worst thing is that i have no more sulfuryl chloride :(

Go To Top