Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mercury sources
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 21-5-2008 at 21:52

One time I was working with quite a bit of mercury and I started having this "out of body" feeling. Also, I was slightly dizzy and couldn't think straight (and I had weird thoughts).

Everyone said I was crazy and I even believe it was mostly psychosematic but... I could be wrong.

[Edited on 5-21-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
indigofuzzy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Distilled

[*] posted on 22-5-2008 at 21:54

According to wikipedia, mercury's vapor pressure @315K(42°C, 107°F) = 1Pa. So, wouldn't that mean mercury "wants" to concentrate to about 9 or 10ppm in air?

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DancingRain

26 elements collected so far
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-5-2008 at 22:31

See, that's what I thought. Wouldn't that be not even close to enough to cause immediate health effects?

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 24-5-2008 at 18:06

Maybe not within a short time span but I have seen both Xrays and sections of brains from dead mercury mine workers, and they all have holes in the brain matter which looks like mad cow disease, swiss cheese, or whatever.

However I still play around with my Hg without much concern, since I limit the time I am exposed to the raw metal. Likely the most injury Hg has caused me in total during my life was all during my formative youth when I carried it around and played with it in my hands for hours. Of course it was not helpful that the year after I left my 6 year long term in grade school, they tore the building down as it was constructed with 100 percent asbestos insulation.

What does not kill you makes you stronger? I am unsure of the reality of this statement.

Still here and still thinking however. This means a great deal I believe, as I know many normal unexposed people who are more ignorant than a mad cow. Therefore my lifetime of exposure has not caused me that much harm hopefully.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2008 at 18:29

My Mom used to tell me that she and her brothers (mostly her brothers) used to play with Hg all the time with their bare hands. They are all still alive and very healthy.

Honestly, I think a lot of it has to do with genetics and (lack of) luck.

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 24-5-2008 at 20:35

Oh hey, this thread reminds me, I inherited a mercury tilt switch last month, so I am in fact the owner of a small droplet of elemental mercury, safely sealed under glass. Sloshing even this small amount, it's clearly dense, but not nearly as impressive as a liter of the stuff would be.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-5-2008 at 00:13

I always thought those were fairly common. I have several of them. I took the mercury out of 3 of them. I might save one but I really don't have a desire to keep the Hg in the glass ampuole.

Chrisn
Harmless

Mood: Positive

[*] posted on 25-5-2008 at 13:06

my high school chemistry teacher has played with a bucket full of mercury :o
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
grndpndr
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 00:05

I live in old gold mning country when panning/sluicing was common 100+ years ago.Anyhoo as you know mecury is used in he recovery process of gold dust I believe .nyway these young kids whom I knew apparently found several LBS in some type of container in an old shed near a stream (custer SD old gold minng town) few miles out of town.As kids are want to do they were fascinated by the stuffs propertys being all of 6-11 and never clever boys to begin with.Anyway they proceeded to put it in thier mouths let it run out thier noses from thier mouths as kids do in grade school w/mik etc.Thankfully none died or are quite drooling idiots but very close.Both are in the penitentiary and have been regularly in trouble though as I said they never were brain trusts.The mother s worse and whether she ever realized how dangerous this was I doubt but I do know treament for heavy metals was never given.
Both are relatively healthy but one did have a very serious immune disorder growing up shortly afer the incident and I dont think the incident was mentioned.Recall the moms IQ,
similar to a mild days temp.Anyway this story belongs on TV as some kind of testament to stupidity etc but it is factual for any doubters.I attempted to get my hands on the stuff when i had heard of the facts but was to late it had been diposed off.Dont doubt my veracity a good many of the Black hills streams and lakes are polluted with mercury from the gold rush days.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top