Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Microscope photography
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 31-3-2008 at 05:42
Microscope photography

I've recently had to do some comparative microscope analysis to identify some unknown samples.....I documented my work with my digital camera ( see pic)...but the field is very small......now, I have a broken cell phone with a good camera....I wonder if there is a way to use the small camera to take pictures and how I can adapt that or perhaps it isn't the right field of depth to do this......I know there are specialty cameras to do this but I lack the bucks to buy one so I though I would try to build one myself or at least adapt something I have to my specific interest........solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-3-2008 at 06:43

There was a microscope, made by Intel yet, that used a CCD camera like the ones used in low end Webcams. Not very complex, I suspect a low end microscope coukd be adapted be means of a holder to place the camera correctly in relationship to the microscope optics. An extra lens may be needed.

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/optics/intelplay/index.html

I assume that enough of the phone works that you can use it to take and transfer photos be some means. If not it could prove a challenge to interface the camera to the outside world.
chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 31-3-2008 at 11:17

I have had success simply using a digital camera. I just place the lens against the lens of the microscope. You might need better lighting on your scope. What kind of microscope are you using? Pictures of my microscope photography can be found here http://chemistry29.googlepages.com/template20. I did these with a biological microscope with under stage lighting. I also have also taken photos with my binocular stereoscopic microscope.

Chemkid

Go To Top