Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Storage of pyridine?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 11:12
Storage of pyridine?

Today I received my pyridine, which I ordered a few days ago. One of the things I want to do with it is making a CrO5.py adduct.

The pyridine came in a metal can, with a plastic screw cap, much like the metal cans in which many fuels (e.g. fuel for miniature karts) are stored. The metal can, however, is damaged. Can the pyridine be stored in a glass bottle with a normal plastic screw cap, or does it eat the screw cap.

I know that the compound has a very bad smell, and before I open the can (no smell at all right now) I want to know how it can be stored best. Any suggestions are highly welcomed.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 11:40

Certainly pyridine can be stored in glass. I have never seen it stored in anything else.

Like any other amine I would store it in brown glass by preference.

The smell is not that bad, but do not smell it. It is a chemosterilant. So open and handle it in the hood, wear gloves, etc. It is not eau de cologne.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 11:48

I think he was wondering if it would dissolve the screw cap. Woelen, that depends on what the cap is made of. PETE? HDPE? PTFE?

Personally, I don't think it would dissolve HDPE or PTFE. That's just speculation, however. Why not view one of those "plastic chemical stability" sheets that are all over? It should give you a better idea.

This site says HDPE is resistant up to 100C.

http://www.zeusinc.com/chem_HDPE.asp#P

This one says polypropylene is not resistant to pyridine at room temperature.

http://www.vp-scientific.com/polypropylene%20properties.htm

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
hectic
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 14:30

Since HDPE is resistant to Py, he could use a glass bottle with a polyseal cone lined cap. I believe those are fairly common.

I have to agree with Sauron, the odor of pyridine is not that bad - definately overrated. Just smells like old fish to me.
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 15:43

What hectic said.

Just make damn sure to pour it outdoors.

A tiny little bit will stink for days.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
Swany
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sanguine

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 16:56

I think can think of other amines smell worse that pyridine, but pyridine does smell pretty bad. It's smell is unique, and it's definately not good. Not fond of it at all. Everone hit it: don't pour indoors and store in a dark bottle.
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 17:21

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen
Today I received my pyridine, which I ordered a few days ago. One of the things I want to do with it is making a CrO5.py adduct.

Careful with that one, the one reference I mentioned says this can explode when it feels like it (this could be due to temperature fluctuations when it is not in the cold).
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 18:49

"Since HDPE is resistant to Py, he could use a glass bottle with a polyseal cone lined cap."

I thought the "poly cones" were polypropylene.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 11:43

A little off topic but... I haven't had the "pleasure" of smelling pyridine before (its not a chemical we use at A-level), but I have smelt butylamine, and was wondering how these two amines compare scent wise. Sorry for posting off topic
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 11:59

Not all that different in the olfactory sense. The big difference is that smelling butylamine won't render you sterile. Pyridine will.

I do not know the details of exposure time, etc. and I am already out of the gene pool myself. My advice would be to read up on this before working with pyridine, if you have plans about progeny.

My understanding is that pyridine is not a teratogen but a chemosterilant. No birth defects because no births.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 12:46

I have noticed that there is a general similar "fishy" smell between amines but the exact odours can be distinct, for example pyrrolidine smells different to diethylamine and hexamethyldisilazane (which smell very similar)

Id store the pyridine in a brown glass bottle with a teflon cap liner, I have a feeling the polycones may disintergrate in time, although I have amines stored in bottles with polycones so you may get away with it.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 13:11

I opened the can with pyridine. I have 500 ml and 250 ml I transferred to a bottle with a PTFE lines, the other 250 ml I kept in the metal can, in which the pyridine is shipped. The bottle with the PTFE liner unfortunately is colorless glass, but I store it in an absolutely dark place, so I do not expect problems with that.

The smell of pyridine is very peculiar to me, somewhat pungent, but it is not so bad, that it makes me feel sick. I would not describe it as fishy, it just is totally different from everything I know. Quite unpleasant, but there are other smells to me, which are much more disgusting.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
jimwig
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 23:12

i have often searched for the storage/shelf life of chems.

one thing i duh thought of was making and using PTFE gaskets under the screw on caps.

thin PTFE and some hole saws could do the trick. just use the hold saws without the center drill bit. c lamp between two pieces of wood in a drill press and pretty good edges result.

craZy jiM wGGns

--packrat, professional bum. -- once just tired
now REtired.

Go To Top