Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Removing "Mixed Tocopherols" from Mineral Oil
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-4-2008 at 13:06
Removing "Mixed Tocopherols" from Mineral Oil

I purchased a bottle of mineral oil today, and on the back of the label it's listed as 99.9% with "mixed tocopherols added as a stabilizer". Is there a convenient or even feasible way to remove the tocopherols (assumed to be approximately 0.1%)? If not, will heating the mineral oil or using it in contact with reaction solutions have any ill effects?

[I searched around the forum for around 15 minutes, and couldn't find anything on this topic, so please excuse me if it's already been discussed.]
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 15-4-2008 at 18:41

Are you doing this just for fun? vitamin E is readily available and not very expensive; it would be a great source of tocopherols.

I suspect a very small amount is added as a radical trap to avoid radical degradation of alkenes present in the mineral oil. Trying to extract the tocopherols from the mineral oil would be like attempting to extract BHT from ether.

If you want to just give it a try though; maybe shaking the mineral oil with a solution of aqueous base (to deprotonate the phenol and pull the phenoxide into the aqueous phase) would yield something. After extraction make the solution acidic (say ph 5) and extract with a suitable organic solvent. Although I really think it is a waste of time.
pantone159
National Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 15-4-2008 at 19:26

I think bfesser is trying to be rid of the tocopherols, not trying to extract them. I have also wondered if they could cause problems, e.g. in using the oil to store Na and such.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 15-4-2008 at 19:49

Although the bottle may state that it is 99.9% that may not be the case. There could be >0.01% tocopherols. For some reason with additives like that they assume them to be part of that 99.9% that the company states is there. A common example is ethanol, you can find 200 proof denatured ethanol, but with 200 proof it should be, by definition, 100% ethanol, so where does the denaturant fit in there? Actually the proof is notably lower depending on the denaturant, one of which is 5% toluene which brings the actual proof down to 190 but the bottle will still say 200 proof.

Anyway, the point is... although I didn't say it explicitly, you probably would be better off just not worrying about it. If it is in fact 99.9% mineral oil and only .01% other crap, that is still an excellent grade material. I've never had a problem using store bought mineral oil in my oil baths, but I never checked for adulterants such as tocopherols. I just figured mineral oil was mineral oil, it's a mixture of things anyway.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 16-4-2008 at 10:33

Ah! Of course; I suppose the word REMOVE should have given me a hint.

P.S. Anyone know why they are using Tocopherols as a stabilizer; seems like a much more expensive choice than BHT.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-4-2008 at 19:00

It's meant to be taken orally as a laxative. That may have something to do with the choice of Tocopherols as a stabilizer.

Go To Top