Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hydrates
octave
Harmless

Mood: Working.

[*] posted on 27-4-2008 at 15:41
Hydrates

Hello all!

Recently I've been reading a great deal on the various theories of coordination chemistry, and have been baffled by one thing which is hydrates.

Take for example copper sulfate pentahydrate contains copper in its 2+ oxidation state and therefore can have 4 water molecules coordinately bonded to it. However as aforementioned it is a pentahydrate.

Research on this has led me to water of crystallization on wikipedia, but I want a better explanation for how exactly this happens. Also I would like to know why this doesn't happen with other ligands. Thanks!
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 27-4-2008 at 23:20

I haven't looked up the specific compound you're asking about but in general what you're talking about has to do with point group symmetry and orbitals. If you're math inclined a good starting place is Cotton & Wilkenson, "Chemical Applications of Group Theory." Happy reading.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-4-2008 at 05:14

To find links for that ebook, search on Google with this search string:
"Chemical Applications of Group Theory" PDF OR DJVU OR ZIP OR RAR rapidshare OR mihd OR megaupload OR esnips
There are several collections of (inorganic) chemistry ebooks in which it is included.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 28-4-2008 at 08:21

As I recall, a lot of the 5- and 7-hydrate sulfates are [M.4H2O].[SO4.H2O] or likewise [M.6H2O] (omitting charges on the ions), that is, 4 or 6 waters per metal ion and one for the sulfate.

Some are inclusion or clathrate sorts of compounds, like I might've heard Na2SO4 hydrate is -- that would make sense given the extravagant amount of H2O's it has.

Predicting these things in general is a complex combination of coordination chemistry, some of which is not fully understood; electrostatic (ionic, dipole and dispersion) binding, and fitting weird shapes together (we're not dealing with fat round Na+ Cl- anymore). Throw in some energy and entropy and you've got one big melting pot (perhaps literally, depending on how you crystallize things :P ) of a "very interesting" physical chemistry problem.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top