Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Photo Developer Stain(s)
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 30-4-2008 at 02:14
Photo Developer Stain(s)

I make/use a fairly generic Film developer soln, based on Metol and Hydroquinone.

however one of Developer tanks leaks a little (quite normal) so I use a tea towel to cover it while I agitate the tank.

next day the towel is a Very dark brown where it has oxidised and a run through the washing machine won`t shift it.

needless to say my Wife is getting a little *ehem* Concerned!

anyone have any idea what I can use to get rid of these stains chemically without damaging the cloth?

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 23:29

Try with the sodium dithionite you can buy in stores as used for discoloring clothes. The brand name differs from country to country so you will have to have a look around.
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 00:01

I have Sodium Metabisulphite, and a little research just said that it can be used as replacement, how True that is I don`t know?

as a UKer and with the wife going off to the ASDA today, I just hope I can find the right product to send her for.

Thanks for the help ;)

update: I just tried the Na MBS, and it`s Worked quite well, it`s not Perfect as the stains that have been through the washing machine are somewhat more Stubborn, but the New stains done over the last week have all come off perfectly.

as for the chemistry, from what I can tell through reading, the Dithionite reaction is a 2 stage one, and the intermediate stage passes through being metabisulphite, so you`de need 2 Moles of MBS for every 1 mole of the dithionite.

looks like I`m out of the Dog House again :D

[Edited on 3-5-2008 by YT2095]

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)

Go To Top