Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: reductive methylation amino acids
azo
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-4-2008 at 04:03
reductive methylation amino acids

Has any one got any views on the reductive methylation of amino acids that selectively acheives monomethylation or at least a high percent without the usual difficulties with seperating other subsituted amines.

thanks azo:P
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 30-4-2008 at 04:10

Quote:
Originally posted by azo
Has any one got any views on the reductive methylation of amino acids that selectively acheives monomethylation

take 1eq amino acid, 1eq paraformaldehyde, and 2-5eq oxalic acid dihydrate, heat, workup. theres a paper in here.

"eschweiler-clarke methylation something"

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 30-4-2008 at 06:41

That seems like a roundabout way to Eschweiler-Clarke methylation. I wonder if it works as well as the "standard" excess formic acid and formaldehyde reaction.

This is a pretty good explanation of the "original" (best one I found searching with google. Wikipedia wins this time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eschweiler-Clarke_reaction

Look at this one as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leuckart-Wallach_reaction

Here's the article for the oxalic/paraformaldehyde method kindly uploaded by solo.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5805&a...

[Edited on 4-30-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-4-2008 at 18:19

Thanks a lot magic and steve

I have looked at the eschweiler_clark reaction the only problem is it doesn't stop at the secondary amine stage and will almost definitely will produce some tertiary amine ? But is there any way of stopping this from happening.

ex. ph control , time of reaction , temp reaction or other ways of stearic hindering the formation of tertiary products .

regards azo.
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 07:34

Quote:
Originally posted by azo the only problem is it doesn't stop at the secondary amine stage

read the paper supplied by solo, it explains the monomethylation procedure.

azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 16:44

Thanks steve .

If i am correct i think you mean the amine is methylated when treated with aqueous formaldehyde and a phosphate buffer to form the imine and then reduced with zinc dust.
I have some alanine lying around and i will see if i can acheive a seperation of a mono methylated product and will post results .:P

regards azo.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 17:50

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to monomethylate the amino group on alanine? What is this compound used for?

I can't find any information on 2-methylamino-propionic acid. That's why I ask.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 18:57

akabori reaction
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 19:20

So you're going through all this trouble to get acetaldehyde (or the amino aldehyde)? Would (N-methyl)-alanine yield something different? In the second Akabori reaction (reduction) it should just yield 2-methylamino-propionaldehyde. What is THAT used for?

Oxidation of alanine (Akabori):

(N-methyl)alanine ----> acetaldehyde + CO2 + NH3(methylamine?)

I still don't understand what you are getting at here. What is your ultimate goal? Is it really acetaldehyde? And if it is 2-methylamino-propanal, what will you use that for? Seems like it might be an interesting compound.

[Edited on 5-1-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 20:57

2-methylamino-1-phenylpropan-1-ol. I am not so sure about the stereospecificty (need to look up mechanism).

Edit: It is not stereoselective because the first step, is the formation of an imine

[Edited on 1-5-2008 by smuv]
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 21:45

Quote:
I have some alanine lying around and i will see if i can acheive a seperation of a mono methylated product and will post results .

Where would the phenyl group come from, smuv? Did azo mean phenylalanine in which case he is trying to obtain benzaldehyde instead of acetaldehyde?

[Edited on 5-1-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 22:53

good work smuv.

It is not stereospecific !

When i was talking about imine formation i meant between formaldehyde and aminoacid and then reduced to N methyl alanine ? Does this answer your question.
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 01:24

Quote:
Originally posted by azo
Thanks steve .

If i am correct

you are not

they use paraformaldehyde and oxalic acid and thats when you end up with the reduced n-methylamino acid. nothing else. wtf!!!

azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 03:03

This is what i mean steve.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?action=att...
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 05:03

me no give shiat. i mean http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5805&a...

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 06:23

azo, if you had simply read what stoichiometric_steve said and/or the reference MagicJigPipe gave, you could have saved all that typing about a different although related reaction.

The paraformaldehyde and oxalic acid method does give a bit of di-Me, or if slightly too little is used leaves a bit of amine unmethylated. With a little care you can keep the unwanted products to a few percent, just practice a bit to calibrate. The relative base strengths of R2NH and R3N can help with purifying the product.

If you want really specific mono-Me and nothing else, SFAIK you'll have to go through a route where you isolate and purify an intermediate and then further react it.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 09:13

Azo, one last time. Are you trying to methylate alanine and then reduce or oxidize it? What is your goal?

You are being extremely vague, IMO.

smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 10:41

utfse

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5979&a...

[Edited on 2-5-2008 by smuv]
azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 16:45

hi magic

Sorry to be vague but what i am trying to acheive is the mono methylation of alanine without reducing the carbonyl group to the diol , when i can do this i am going to try the akabori reaction with phenylpropionaldehyde to confirm that the low yield of just using alanine is due to the electron cloud of the ring
being close to the alpha carbon and not just because the amine of the amino acid reacts directly with the aldehyde which won't happen when you are using a secondry amine .

regards azo.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 17:30

That's not azo. I'll just assume he wants to use the same aldehyde. "UTFSE" is rude. About as rude as STFU. As you can see (http://www.chempensoftware.com/reactions/RXN006.htm) there are at least 3 different types of Akabori reactions and only one of which involves any AROMATIC ALDEHYDE. So, saying I should have known what he was doing just by "UTFSE" is bullshit.

Thanks for not being rude, azo. Now I know.

[Edited on 5-2-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 22:08

I am use to people jumping to conclusions ! But what i have learnt with chemistry is what it looks like on the surface is most often wrong until you look in to it more or have all the relevent information.

thanks magic.;)
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 22:53

Quote:
Originally posted by azo
being close to the alpha carbon and not just because the amine of the amino acid reacts directly with the aldehyde which won't happen when you are using a secondry amine .

Secondary amines react with aldehydes just like primary amines. The only difference is that the hemiaminal eliminates H2O to form either the highly electrophilic iminium compoound (in acidic media) or the nucleophilic enamine (in close to neutral). The enamine/iminium species equilibrate by protonation/deprotonation and tautomerism. Hence the N-monoalkylated amino acids can react by exactly the same mechanism in the Akabori reaction. Only the tertiary and quaternary amines can't.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 01:10

I no that Nicodem thats because there is 1 spare valence electron on the nitrogen not counting the lone pair on a secondary amine.
But i think there will be less of a reaction between the amino acid and the aldehyde if it was n methylated due to the greater steric hinderance of the n methylated amino acid .

regards azo.
LSD25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Psychotic (Who said that? I know you're there...)

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 02:18

I think you will find that further alkylation will still take place on the amine even if it is converted to a secondary amine. There are any number of papers where the authors use an aldehyde to convert the amine to an imine in order to protect against further alkylation of the amine - then hydrolyze that imine at the end. What about using the imine of the amino acid and formaldehyde (for instance), then alkylating the amino acid with the relevant aromatic aldehyde? You would then not need to remove the imine - simply reduce it to get the a,n-dimethylamino acid.

Whhhoooppps, that sure didn't work
azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-5-2008 at 16:03

I understand that you will get a little tertiary amine . I have seen info on the use of an aldehyde to form a imine to protect against further alkylations it would defently work but i don't no how practical it would be as i have seen no procedures for it.
I think you missed something here i am not wanting to produce an aromatic n dimethylamino acid i am wanting to produce a secondry amino acid and then decarboxylate via akabori with a aromatic aldehyde to produce a phenyl amino alcohol.

IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH:D
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top