Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Tetrasulfur Tetranitride
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 6-5-2023 at 07:53

I just ran across this, which elaborates on the selenium analog and gives a short blurb about the tellurium analog. From "Selenium, Tellurium, and Polonium", by K. W. Bagnall (a freestanding 1966 book and also chapter 24 of Comprehensive Inorganic Chemistry, 1973)

Attachment: Selenium_Tellurium_Nitrides.pdf (163kB)
This file has been downloaded 142 times

Can't wait for someone to make the polonium version!!

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
Lionel Spanner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 15:07

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  
I just ran across this, which elaborates on the selenium analog and gives a short blurb about the tellurium analog. From "Selenium, Tellurium, and Polonium", by K. W. Bagnall (a freestanding 1966 book and also chapter 24 of Comprehensive Inorganic Chemistry, 1973)

Can't wait for someone to make the polonium version!!

There is in fact an experimental procedure for selenium nitride in Brauer p.435/436, one of many highly reactive compounds prepared by extraordinarily brave and/or foolish German chemists in the 1920s and 1930s.
When a procedure in Brauer starts with an explicit warning about how explosive it is (which for context, you don't get with e.g. hydrazoic acid or chlorine dioxide), you know it is not to be taken lightly at all. And the procedure finishes like this:

"Pure selenium nitride is best stored under benzene because of its explosive nature. The dry substance may not be placed in glass stoppered bottles since the contents generally explode when such bottles are opened. Cardboard boxes are the best containers."

There is no procedure for tellurium nitride; I can only imagine it's even less stable, and even if polonium nitride could be prepared and isolated, it would probably self-destruct due to its high radioactivity.

[Edited on 11-5-2023 by Lionel Spanner]

Industrial chemist rediscovering the practical pleasures of pure chemistry.
Sometimes I make videos - https://www.youtube.com/@yorkshirechemist
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top