Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Huge Thermometer
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

cool.gif posted on 14-5-2008 at 02:12
Huge Thermometer

I had an odd piece of glassware that needed an application, and it So reminded me of a thermometer, that I figured Why not!

top down:

I`m using methylated spirits in it, this stuff in the UK has a purple color, so I added a little Rhodamine B to it to make the color a little more visible.

it`s accuracy is amazing with a resolution of 5 degrees c over 8mm.
although it`s not a very Fast thermometer, in a room where theres slow temp changes it works great!

it`s also under a partial vacuum as I heated the liquid up to 50c and then sealed the top.

I`ll find a nice piece of wood somewhere and mount the whole thing on it eventually, maybe put it on a wall or something.

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 14-5-2008 at 03:14

Very funny application of such a piece of glassware. Best of course is if it is calibrated with another accurate thermometer and nice lines are drawn on/behind the glass bar.

You can increase the resolution by putting a thin long glass tube in the piece of glassware. It does not need to fit precisely, the only thing which is important is that no liquid sticks between the tube and the inner glass wall of your piece of glassware, but that is a matter of trying it.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 14-5-2008 at 03:23

aha, yes! and thus reducing the volume that can be held in any given length, Fantastic idea!;)

yeah it has been calibrated at 50c 25c and 20c so far, it was just to take measurements and do a few tests with, the finish item will be similar to your description.

I`ll have a look around the lab and see if I have any such tube or glass rods suitable, but as not to case a capillary effect.

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)

Go To Top