Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pure 100% OTC silicon oil
angelhair
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-6-2008 at 20:08
Pure 100% OTC silicon oil

Where can you find pure 100% OTC silicon oil?

I know the hobby shops sell shock oil that actually say "pure Silicon Oil" and "100% silicon oil", but it's not true. When you look at the MSDS you find that there are additives.

I know that you can find silicon oil almost every where, transformer oils, clutch fan lubricants, mold release, spray cans, dot5, but I haven't found any pure products OTC.

There is a company call Clearco Products that actually sells pure stuff that I've seen on the web but I haven't seen their products in my country
organometallic
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-6-2008 at 04:24

LPchemical(s)
Mistral Fine chemicals

In vials of ivory and coloured glass
Unstoppered, lurked her strange synthetic perfumes,
Unguent, powdered, or liquid - troubled, confused
And drowned the sense in odours.
-=HeX=-
Hazard to Others

Mood: Precipitating

[*] posted on 18-2-2010 at 05:45

I believe the silicon oil sold for Airsoft Guns is fairly pure...

If you give a man a match he will be warm for a moment. Set him alight and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 21-2-2010 at 09:38

I don't mean to be picky but wouldn't it be silicone oil? I have always thought silicon was the element and silicones were man-made materials that were almost always derived in some way from the element (or compounds of the element).

Silicon oil makes me think of an oil with elemental silicon in it.

Is this correct?

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-2-2010 at 15:16

You are correct. Silicon is the element, silicones are a class of polysiloxane polymers. In most other languages the element is called silicium (with varying orthography), the polymer silicon (ditto). Unfortunately this is only one out of many examples of English being an imprecise, ambiguous language with lots of weird idiosyncrasies. :( Note: I know that the pronunciation of both words is distinctly different.

Go To Top