Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: THIQ
nightshade
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 09:32
THIQ

Tetrahydroisoquinoline,some chemical the body makes from acetaldehyde and dopamine.What is it's synthesis?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 10:12

There are several isomeric tetrahydroisoquinolines, of which only two retain the aromaticity of one condensed ring (1,2,3,4- and 5,6,7,8-tetrahydroisoquinoline). The least you could do is to specify which tetrahydroquinoline you are talking about.
However, none of these can be made in vivo from dopamine and acetaldehyde. The condensation of these two would yield 1-methyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline-6,7-diol (other names are1-methyl-6,7-dihydroxy-1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline and the trivial name salsolinol) and as far as I know there are no possible metabolic pathways that would turn this into any isomer of tetrahydroisoquinoline.
If you are interested in the biosynthetic pathway (I assume you mean biosynthesis instead of "synthesis" as this is the Biochemistry section), I'm sure you can find some papers by googling "dopamine + acetaldehyde" or "salsolinol", given that there was all kind of research done on the toxicity mechanism of acetaldehyde (due to its metabolic role in alcoholism).

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top