Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Very Mild Chlorinating Reagents for Delicate Substrates
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 20-7-2008 at 08:55
Very Mild Chlorinating Reagents for Delicate Substrates

In the preparation of amide bonds (peptide synthesis for example) as well as in natural products chemistry there is a need for sophisticated halogenating reagents that operate under mild, neutral conditions. Acyl halides and alkyl halides are both of interest.

Here we discuss several such reagents:

-- Tetramethyl-a-chloroenamine (TMCE)
-- Ph3P-CCl4 and Ph3P-hexachloroacetone
-- CPMA (Chlorophenylthiomethylene)dimethylammonium chloride

Tetramethyl-a-chloroeneamine (TMCE) is a chlorinating reagent for alcohols as well as being useful for preparing acyl chlorides.

The starting material is the N,N-simethylamide of isobutyric acid. Commercially available, you betcha.

Abstract of a Belgian peper in Tetrahedron describing the preparation:
Disubstituted--chloroenamines are useful synthetic intermediates which had earlier been prepared by the reaction of tertiary amides with phosgene. The toxicity of the latter led us to systematically investigate new synthetic routes towards -chloro- and -bromoenamines. The reactions of various halogenating agents (SOCl2, diphosgene, triphosgene, OPCl3, OPBr3) with tertiary amides followed by the addition of triethylamine have been studied. Thionyl chloride was found unsuitable for the preparation of -chloroenamines. Of the other halogenating agents, OPCl3 and OPBr3 were found the most practical. The generality of the method is illustrated by the synthesis of fifteen -chloroenamines and six -bromoenamines

[Edited on 21-7-2008 by Sauron]

TMCE.jpg - 73kB

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2008 at 09:01

Here's the paper from Tetrahedron on preparation of TMCE. It is worth noting that POCl3 can be replaced by diphosgene or triphosgene, which are not CWC scheduled, while POCl3 is Schedule 3. Triphosgene is a solid and readily prepared from dimethyl carbonate by photolytic chlorination. Diphosgene is a liquid with relatively low volatility and its preparation is described in Org.Syn. I have posted the preparations of both of these reagents before.

POCl3 gives slightly better (80%) yield compared to 75% for diphosgene and 65% for triphosgene.

See also Org.Syn. 59 p 26 for preparation using phosgene; the synthesis is now superceded but the cotes and references pertaining to the chemistry of these reagents are now.

Attachment: Tetrahedron1998p9207.pdf (976kB)
This file has been downloaded 1517 times

Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 20-7-2008 at 13:21

where do you get your N,N-simethylamide of isobutyric acid?
U2U me if you dont want to let it out, thanks :)
Klute
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-7-2008 at 14:35

Is there any mention of PCL3 or PCL5 been used? Maybe direct chloriantion with Cl2 and a halogen carrier could work also.. Interesting topic.

But could you please do something about those huge reaction schemes? It would be much more readible and pleasant if they were significantly reduced..

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2008 at 20:03

There's nn mention of PCl3 or PCl5 in this preparation. A variety of reagents were used succesfully except for SOCl2 which was unsuitable for reasons given in the article.

From my point of view all of the P-halogen compounds are unobtainable. Red P is unobtainable. POCl3 I can make, but it means bending the law. Diphosgene and triphosgene I can make legally.

Picric A, try N,N,2-trimethylpropionamide. Or N,N-dimethylisobutyramide. Aldrich 347159. If you can't find it, make it from dimethylamine and isobutyryl chloride.

Klute old friend, I already reduce the rxn scheme graphic for width to meet forum criteria 700 dpi. I draw them vertically so I can read them.

JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2008 at 20:25

Other reagents that could be used, instead of PCl3, PCl5, or POCl3, are SiCl4; and AsCl3 although it would be rather more expensive and much more toxic. In general, to replace a keto group (or an alcoholic or carboxylic -OH group) with an alkenyl chloride group requires a chloride of an element of which the oxide has a substantially higher enthalpy of formation than the chloride (or oxychloride), as the driving-force for the exchange of =O (or -OH) for Cl, and does not form a byproduct that would react with the organic chloride. That being the case, I wonder if AlCl3, SnCl4, or TiCl4 could also be used, noting the high enthalpy of formation of Al2O3 or Al(OH)3 and the other oxides.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2008 at 20:37

John, there is not the slightest indication that those reagents are applicable to the preparation of TCME. In addition AsCl3 is highly toxic and is a CWC scheduled precursor to Lewisite, therefore unavailable in many places. Read the article. It details half a dozen suitable chlorinating agents, and one not suitable. Your two candidates are not on the roster. Nor are PCl3 or PCl5.

The older preps were done with phosgene. The reagents tried in the paper posted above were SOCl2 (failure), diphosgene and triphosgene (Success) POCl3 and POBr3 (success.) NO SIMPLE ElEMENTAL CHLORIDES WERE USED.

Meanwhile here is a peper on preparation of alkyl halides using this reagent under neutral conditions.

Attachment: TMCE_2.pdf (224kB)
This file has been downloaded 877 times

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2008 at 21:04

And here's an example of the original prep using phosgene, from Org.Syn.

Attachment: CV6P0282.pdf (241kB)
This file has been downloaded 1254 times

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2008 at 00:10

And the use of a derivative of TMCE in the preparation of ketones from carboxylic acids and Grignard reagents.

Attachment: CV8P0441.pdf (151kB)
This file has been downloaded 1116 times

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2008 at 01:11
Triphenylphosphine Systems w/CCl4 or Hexachloroacetone

Another very useful and versatile system for preparing alkyl halides and acyl halides is triphenylphosphine-CCl4 or alternatively Ph3P-hexachloroacetone.

Here is a Tetrahedron Letters paper on the latter system demonstrating its effectiveness even at -78 C in preparing formyl chloride from formic acid.

Attachment: TetLett1997p6489.pdf (261kB)
This file has been downloaded 1090 times

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2008 at 01:16

And a review of the Ph3P-CCl4 system in chlorinations, dehydrations and P-N linkage formation:

Attachment: Pages from 14.pdf (389kB)
This file has been downloaded 1416 times

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2008 at 01:19

Also a JACS communication extening this reagent to the preparation of acyl chlorides such as acetyl chloride and propionyl chloride which are of great interest to many of us.

There's also an example in Org.Syn. of the use of tis reagent in preparing geranyl chloride from the sensitive geraniol.

Org.Syn Collective Volume 6 p 634 (1988)

Attachment: ja00966a052.pdf (277kB)
This file has been downloaded 631 times

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2008 at 01:53
(Chlorophenylthiomethylene)dimethylammonium chloride

To round out the presentation here is another Tetrahedron Letters paper on the preparation and use of CPMA, a mild neutral reagent with that rara avis, selectivity in chlorination. Only primary alcohols are reactive to this reagent. Secondary and tertiary hydroxyls in same substrate molecule are untouched.

Note that while the authors used phosgene in this preparation, it can be reasonably anticipated that the usual phosgene substitutes, diphosgene (trichloromethyl chloroformate and triphosgene, hexachlorodimethyl carbonate can also be used advantageously. Oxalyl chloride is also a very likely substitute.

Diphosgene is a relatively nonvolatile liquid easily prepared from methyl formate and chlorine. See my threads on this and also Org.Syn.

Triphosgene is even safer to handle, being a solid, and is prepared from dimethyl carbonate and chlorine under UV irradiation in CCl4. I have previously posted a peper by Eckert from Angew.Chem.Intl.Ed. describing this reagent and its prep.

The starting material for CPMA is S-phenyl-N,N-dimethyldithiocarbamate.

In reference 11 the authors cite the original preparation but also give the following improvement:

Dimethylcarbamoyl chloride (1 g, 8.1 mmol) in DCM 20ml, was added thiophenol (0.67 ml, 6.5 mmol), triethylamine (1.1 ml, 8.1 mmol) and 4-dimethylaminopyridine (10 mg, 0.08 mmol) was refluxed 12 hrs. Basic workup (DCM/sodium bicarbonate aq.) gave an oil. Flash chromatography (hexane/ethyl acetate 3:1) gave the dithiocarbamate 1.42 g, 89%.

Treatment of the S-phenyl-N,N-dimethyldithiocarbamate with phosgene (3,3 ml 1.93 M in toluene) in toluene 10 mml for 2 hrs 60 C. upon concentration gave CPMA as a white solid which was washed with toluene. NMR and elemental analysis are reported. M.p. 60 C dec.

Original prep reference:

Copeland and Stick, Aust. J.Chem. 1984, 37, 1483-1487

Attachment: TetLett2000p6049.pdf (135kB)
This file has been downloaded 1682 times

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2008 at 03:55

Apparently the original Aussie prep of CPMA was by reaction of Viehe's salt (N-Dichloromethylene-N,N,-dimethylammonium chloride) with thiophenol.

Full text is posted in next post.

Viehe's salt aka phosgeneimmonium chloride is closely related to the Vilsmeier reagent.

Here is the structure of CPMA:

[

CPMA.jpg - 52kB

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2008 at 08:54

Here's the article from Australian Journal of Chemistry.

I still have to look up the prep of Viehe's salt vs the prep of N,N-dimethylcarbamoyl chloride. This will be the key to whether the French method is preferable to the Australian one.

Attachment: AustJChem.pdf (258kB)
This file has been downloaded 589 times

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2008 at 08:58

And a nice ten page review of the chemistry of Viehe's salt written by Viehe himself for Angew.Chem.Int.Ed.

[Edited on 22-7-2008 by Sauron]

Attachment: Pages from 12.pdf (339kB)
This file has been downloaded 930 times

Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2008 at 13:31

Thank you for sharing all these very interesting articles.
A one pot reaction to simialr reagentrs could be possible, preparaing diphosgene by chloriantion of methyl formate, and then directly adding the substarte to the freshly prepared diphosgene.

Obviously, an intial run with isolation of the diphosgene would be needed, but if it works and a adequate solvent for the two steps could be found, this would make the procedure much more accesable, and limite exposition to diphosgene...

I would love to try a little experiemental work when i get a little more free-time and finish the few incomplete projects. The preparation of diphosgene would already open the dorrs to many reagents.

Sauron, did you ever try out the chlorination of methyl formate? I remember you discussing it.

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2008 at 14:09

Not yet. I did find that the initial chlorination of methyl formate to methyl chloroformate is best done without UV, to avoid risk of explosion. Then once you have pure methyl chloroformate you can proceed with UV-catalyzed chlorination to the trichloro (perchloro) stage. But you will likely need to distill the diphosgene, and really all of this screams for a hood.

Triphosgene is just as easy and much safer to handle. It is even commercially available although bloody expensive.

In addition, oxalyl chloride, although nasty, is nowhere near as toxic as diphosgene. The hassle is that it offgasses CO and CO2 in the reaction so you still need a hood. And it is very irritating and lachrymatory.

Viehe's salt, key starting material for CPMA is best prepared not by the two methods discussed above but according to the review by Viehe, by chlorination of dithiuram, a cheap vulcanizing agent. A byproduct is SCl2. Thiophenol of course really reeks. Hood again.

Viehe's salt aka phosgeneimonium salt, is very easy to prepare without using phosgene. The commercially available tetramethylthiuram is an inexpensive vulcanizing agent.

Me2NC(=S)-S-S-C(=S)-NMe2

Chlorination of this initially gives dimethylthiocarbamyl chloride

Me2N-C(=S)Cl 2 mols + 2 S

Continued chlorination gives Viehe's salt and SCl2.

The first stage of this is described in Org.Syn.

Viehe says this is the simplest and best method for preparing his salt.

[Edited on 22-7-2008 by Sauron]

Attachment: CV4P0307.pdf (127kB)
This file has been downloaded 671 times

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2008 at 11:06

From this point the story of CPMA fades back into the world of Vilsmeier and Arnold and Viehe chemistry and their antecedents, which is much broader than just chlorination.

The Vilsmeier reagent is prepared from DMF and oxalyl chloride and dates back to about 1920.

It has oinly one Cl on the methylene.

The Viehe salts are much more recent, and have two Cl on the methylene. Otherwise these are identical, The Viehe salt is commercially available though expensive.

But as no one seems to be interested I guess I will stand down.

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2008 at 21:00
Returning to TMCE and Acyl Halides

Here's a paper from Chemical Communications on the use of TMCE (see upthread) for the preparation of acyl halides (X = F, Cl, Br, I). The yields are very high, conditions very mild, temperatures ambient or below.

Note that trichloroacetyl chloride is obtained in quantitative yield. This unusual as most methods for preparing this chloride result in partial decomposition to CCl4 and/or CHCl3. via a radical process. See the H.C.Brown paper on acid chlorides via benzoyl chloride which has been posted previously.

They also report prep of formyl chloride in 94% yield by same method.

Of the three reagents I have described thus far in this thread, two can be used to prepare both alkyl and acyl halides. Of those two, TMCE is more versatile and operates at lower temperatures than does PPh3-CCl4, although PPh3 with hexachloroacetone has been demonstrated to operate at low temperatures as in prep of formyl chloride.

CPMA is the most specialized and the most difficult to prepare but it is also the only one that demonstrates selectivity in chlorination, as it only reacts with primary alcohols.

[Edited on 23-7-2008 by Sauron]

Attachment: c39790001180.pdf (135kB)
This file has been downloaded 945 times

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2008 at 03:30

For those who, like me, are interested in peptide synthesis, an application of TMCE to complex problems in the total synthesis of cyclopeptides with cancerostatic proprties is attached. While my own work is nowhere near as intricate, TMCE may well find a place in my synthetic arsenal.

[Edited on 23-7-2008 by Sauron]

Attachment: s-1986-31636.pdf (691kB)
This file has been downloaded 846 times

Go To Top