Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Terminology Questions
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-7-2008 at 12:26
Terminology Questions

I've searched several places, and have been unable to find answers for the following two questions--any help would be greatly appreciated.

First, I recently purchased a bottle of light copper turnings, and the bottle is labeled as "Copper, C.P.". I was wondering if anyone knows what this means? (My best guess is 'column packing'.) The turnings were J.T.Baker 1-1732 if this helps at all. It's a discontinued product.

Second, what does "multi-compendial" mean? For example, <a href="http://www.mallbaker.com/Americas/catalog/prodpage.asp?sku=2140&brd=B&searchdata=glycerin&searchbrd=*startnum=1&pnum=2&total Items=4&language=">J.T.Baker glycerin, 2140.</a> I've tried several dictionaries for the root words, and still nothing that makes sense.

P.S. Don't buy the Oxford Dictionary of Chemistry. It's a complete waste of money. So far, every single term I've attempted to look up hasn't been in there--and I've had it for a few years.

[Edited on 7/31/08 by bfesser]
Ragnarok
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-7-2008 at 12:31

"Multi-Compendial—A grade of product with full compendial testing as appropriate to the US Pharmacopoeia (USP) or National Formulary (NF) and European Pharmacopoeia (PhEur, EP), British Pharmacopoeia (BP) and Japanese Pharmacopoeia (JP) criteria. "
Taken from their site,
http://www.mallbaker.com/Americas/catalog/features/grade.asp
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 31-7-2008 at 12:34

Ahh, thanks very much for the reply. I can't believe how stupid I am for not looking there. Nevermind about the other question. It's "chemically pure", apparently from the same page. Thanks again, and could someone please delete this thread?
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-7-2008 at 15:04

I think this thread is good for other people who have similar questions, because there will be someone who is also wondering about other words they find in texts and on their reagents. Plus, I've already learned something :D

Go To Top