Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Laundry detergent?
lucky123
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 18:30
Laundry detergent?

I noticed a lot of detergents say with bleach alternative on the front and wonder what is in them??? h2o2??? If h2o2 anyone know what concentrations they contain. Can't balance the reaction equation if no clue how much detergent to add... I also heard of ap being made from laundry detergent how much detergent do you use??? If not h2o2 I have heard of some type of explosive that can be made with detergent? What might this coumpound be....
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 19:13

I think sodium percarbonate is the most common bleaching agent used. Perborate is fairly common too. What is sold as "bleach tablets" is often dichloroisocynauric acid.

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 8-8-2008 at 05:09

Sodium percarbonate, sodium perborate and ammonium persulphate are readily available from quite a few suppliers so not much point in messing around with detergent.
They have quite a bit of interesting chemistry that can be explored at home or in a school lab at most.
Using detergent for it's content of peroxy anions is probably going to lead to a filthy mess.
jokull
National Hazard

Mood: Ice glassed

[*] posted on 8-8-2008 at 06:14

Dear lucky,

I think you are talking about liquid detergents such as Vanish; this one contains 5-15% of H2O2 but the rest are surfactants and water. The common cleaning agents in solid detergents are those yet mentioned by Klute and ScienceSquirrel.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 8-8-2008 at 06:34

Given that you can buy 9% hydrogen peroxide over the counter in most countrys and 30 -35% hydrogen peroxide if you know where to look I would not mess around with Vanish.
Surfactants are generally bad news as they slow down filtrations and create gungy emulsions etc.
Besides if you are making explosives then you want to work with the purest reagents that you can obtain. With pure chemicals you have more hope of getting reliable products.
Acetone peroxide is dangerous enough in small quantities prepared by following an exact literature recipe.
Trying to make it by mixing Vanish, nail varnish remover and lemon drink powder is OK for The Terminator. In real life you will end up with glop or a ticket to A & E if you are really unlucky!
Chemkid13
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-8-2008 at 08:40

to mr science squirrel here goes ok so i have been after a one pot lithium reducution of hmm various compound id say im about through however u being the expierience i have made a ammonia gen difference being i create pressure then submerge in dry ice and napthalene workable ur awnser a great help
Chemkid13
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-8-2008 at 08:42

anyone please help due to issue numer 2
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-8-2008 at 08:51

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemkid13
to mr science squirrel here goes ok so i have been after a one pot lithium reducution of hmm various compound id say im about through however u being the expierience i have made a ammonia gen difference being i create pressure then submerge in dry ice and napthalene workable ur awnser a great help

Does anyone speak 'txt' here? :D

Seriously try and explain what you are doing or planning to do in plain English and what you have done on your own so far then someone will probably help you out.

[Edited on 8-8-2008 by ScienceSquirrel]
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 9-8-2008 at 07:41

Your English is appalling to say the least, yet your IP indicates you're in the USA.

Put some effort into your question and show some respect to the people that are trying to help you. What the hell happened to common courtesy?

One more shitty reply like the previous ones and this one goes to detritus.
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-8-2008 at 10:26

But does the question(s?) have anythign to do with the thread subject? Birch and laundry detergents?

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-8-2008 at 17:23

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
One more shitty reply like the previous ones and this one goes to detritus.

I hope that you are not describing my posts as shitty!

I have tried to be fair and informative with respect to the original poster and their interest in acetone peroxide.
Acetone peroxide can be reasonably safely prepared from pure acetone, hydrogen peroxide and citric acid on a sub gram scale, ca 200mg is about right.
I use strong HDPE bottles wrapped in plastic tape and a plastic funnel for the reaction and filtration. Gloves and eye / face protection should be worn.
There should be a blast shield between you and the audience who should be some metres away.
A stupid mistake with this stuff on this scale is equivalent to setting off a small firecracker in your hand if you are holding it at the time.
I am not going to publish my preparation but anyone who reads these boards can easily work it out.
Chemkid13 may be interested in drug synthesis. I will not supply 'recipes' for drug synthesis, I believe that this is in line with the ruling policy on this board.

[Edited on 10-8-2008 by ScienceSquirrel]
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2008 at 05:42

I don't think that comment was adressed to you ScienceSquirrel, although I obviously can't speak i n the name of Vulture, but more to Chemkid13, with his totally OT, incomprehensible, badly written posts.

-Alice Parr
indigofuzzy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Distilled

[*] posted on 21-8-2008 at 21:54

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemkid13

Amazing, not even one punctuation mark in the entire post!
I'm not sure where one thought ends and the next begins.

"You're grammar ain't not no well."

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DancingRain

26 elements collected so far

Go To Top